Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

Replies

• Personally, I would be posting in the forums daily. When I first look at your forums categories, I see a post from 13 hours ago then Oct 23...May 24th...Nov 1, 2011....this just shows little activity.  If you keep writing something, people will read it and will make your site appear more active.

Also, until your classified section takes off, I would maybe move that either do0wn the page or onto its own page.  Again, this is due to a lot of empty listings that make it seem like you have little activity.

Other than that, you site looks great.

• Good feedback. Thanks.

• Your site looks good: Clean, emphasis on content, not over-designed.

Like Tyler says. It took us a while but we figured that putting our most active sections on top of the page was stimulating engagement.

You could also try this tip here from Jen.

That's how we did it:

• Hey Dan,
    Constantly fresh content is a requirement.  Whether created by you or by your members.  At first, it will be mostly you.  Later, your star members will carry the load.  Look for star members and support them.  Let them know you need their help and they are doing a great community service.  You will find people that LOVE being involved in their local community and will work very hard to keep your site full of great local content.

Since you are so geographically based, you will need to do a lot of offline marketing to the community.  This can include sponsorship of local events where you can get a mention and place a banner (a real physical one), business cards in holders at the checkouts of local businesses.  Do an ad swap where you exchange promotion of their event to your members for a sponsorship mention, banner, ad in the program, whatever.  You can do this with any event that has a printed program:  plays, high school sports, etc.  These events would LOVE to have an announcement of their event sent to your 500 LOCAL members.  You already have a valuable asset you can trade for being a sponsor of their event.  As you get bigger you will be able to charge for this promotion but for now you will swap it for more exposure for your site.

Years back I had a local directory site (pre-Ning).  I sold it and it has subsequently folded but it was a great source of local information.  I used the businesses I already had within my local directory as the source of traffic.  Approach that business with a stack of business cards that say "I'm a Featured Business in Stapleton Connect - Your Source for All Things Stapleton".  Include your URL and a great tag line call to action.  Give the business a business card holder to put your cards in and ask if you can place these at the checkout/front desk.  Most will.  Put a sticker on the card holder that says "I'm a Featured Business in Stapleton Connect - If there are no more cards here please contact StapleConnect.com for more."  When you have gone to all the business in your directory, YOU enter more businesses and then approach these businesses as well.

Once more locals arrive, always be promoting a local event and encourage all members to share this event announcement on your site with their Stapleton friends.  That will get more locals to the site.  Once they arrive, have a compelling reason for them to sign up:  perhaps a weekly newsletter with all the local community events, etc.

You will need to be sending an email newsletter weekly anyways that highlights the best of Stapleton Connect.  Keep your members engaged and they will want to invite more locals if you make it easy to do.

/Clark

• I have made some updates to the design... would love additional feedback. the insights given below have really helped! Here's the latest and greatest: http://stapletonconnect.com/

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Thiago Santos de Moraes replied to Emer Dareloth's discussion Ning 2.0: Adding Two "Groups" Sections?
"It is not possible."
10 minutes ago
The Builder :) replied to Alan's discussion Adding Java Script
"Hi JQueryHelp and Bernard, sorry for taking to answer, I was in a difficult personal situation.

we…"
1 hour ago
JFarrow replied to Dominic Lehane's discussion APP Builder
"I've set up a couple of apps using Como.com  which allows you to do quite a bit with feeds and even…"
1 hour ago
Ning via Facebook

Designing The Perfect Newcomer To Regular Journey Part 5 http://ow.ly/AxqEC

JFarrow replied to JFarrow's discussion Community Compass: Reimagining Getting Started Guides for Online Communities-UPDATED
"Just a quick note to let those of you who are using the Community Compass that I have added a new w…"
6 hours ago
SweetPotato replied to SweetPotato's discussion Simple, Responsive Slider for Ning 3.0
"For anyone who is interested in dynamically loading blog posts into this slider (i.e. no manual upd…"
7 hours ago
Jamie Baker replied to Gerry Emery's discussion I'd like to see an example or two of the new NIng 3.0 websites
"Looks great Mike, one of the best I've seen & that was just on mobile, will look again on desktop l…"
8 hours ago
Mike Collins replied to Gerry Emery's discussion I'd like to see an example or two of the new NIng 3.0 websites
"Here's ours and after migrating just a couple of weeks ago it's great to see it come to life. There…"
8 hours ago
steve replied to Gerry Emery's discussion I'd like to see an example or two of the new NIng 3.0 websites
"Can see i have a long way to go looking at some of these wonderful sites but im happy with it so fa…"
21 hours ago
JFarrow replied to JFarrow's discussion How to Map Your Members on a Ning Network
"Because this actually happens outside of the actual network, i don't see how they could, Gerry....…"
22 hours ago
JFarrow commented on Gerry Regan's blog post Seeking provider of alternative to Apps.IO's Listings app. in Hire a Creator
"If you're still looking for help with this, I have a few ideas...ill send you my contact info.."
22 hours ago
JFarrow left a comment for Natasha Dyer
"Just sent you a message by email...happy to help!"
22 hours ago
JFarrow replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
"for sure... always inspired by these guys!"
yesterday
Tyler Durbin replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
"TJ has saved my butt a few times!  The guy is a master at what he does and his code always works fl…"
yesterday
Rowald replied to Rowald's discussion Site host name, https://network.com, does not match your SSL certificate Subject Name
"Hi Laura, well.. like Amanda said it's expected behavior on their end. Not sure if there is anythin…"
yesterday
George H. Compton IV replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
""
Sunday
Katie McKay replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
"Agree!"
Sunday
George H. Compton IV replied to soaringeagle's discussion mobile traffic reaches new high and no 3.0 completion date in sight
"Hello seoaringeagle :-)  fullwidth responsive Ning 2.0 network. That's what I'm working on right n…"
Sunday
Kos replied to Heather Ales's discussion How to center group images in Group Hub
"Oh cool.  I had worried a/b how it would appear oh phone when it needs to be responsive (had just p…"
Sunday
Heather Ales replied to Heather Ales's discussion How to center group images in Group Hub
"That worked perfectly! Thank you!!"
Sunday
More…