Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

This tip is for adding a little drop down arrow for items in your Main Nav that have a sub menu. Now I really don't know why I never thought of doing it this way before so thought I would share it with you.

As we know we have the drop down arrow added for us when in mobile view so I took a look at it and the only reason it does not show in our main nav when not on mobile is just a media query stopping it from showing so all we have to do is add the code with the media query for showing it above the mobile resolution. Now we can add it without a media query but as we may need to adjust the arrow a bit different by using a few margins we add the media query so it does not adjust the mobile version.

So here is the code

margin-left: 10px this moves the arrow over to the right a little away from the tab text

margin-top: 4px this move the arrow down a bit

You do not have to use the margins or you can just adjust the values to suit your site.

The code just goes in your design studio custom CSS

@media only screen and (min-width:769px){
.icon-down::before {
    font-family: 'ning-icon-fonts';
    content: '\e60d';
    float: right;
    margin-left:10px;
    margin-top:4px;
}}

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Love this - thank you John

• Thanks Kos, found this way of doing while designing my new menu system for the member site I am getting up together. While add it to my demo site soon as well.

• By the way if you find your arrows a little big you can adjust it's size by adding a font size value to decrease or even increase it.

For example I have changed mine to a smaller size like this and as it's smaller decreased the margin-top to 2px

@media only screen and (min-width:769px){
    .icon-down::before {
        font-family: 'ning-icon-fonts';
        content: '\e60d';
        float: right;
        margin-left:10px;
        margin-top: 2px;

font-size: 12px
    }}

• That's actually better.  Nice to demonstrate 'how' they can be adjusted.  CSS is intimidating to those unaccustomed to it.  Thanks!

• super tip!

thanks again,

Holly

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…