I use FlashVortex for Indexing groups and easy access for members to find certain discussions. Today while posting discussions I decided to use the Flash Vortex to help members (not on my community) find the discussion. Unfortunately the flash would not take on that community,  I decided to test it out on my own community to only find that it is not working there as well.

Is this a new thing for Ning, are we not able to have flash or is this the newest issue?

Thank you,

Perse

Tags: Flash, error

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a sample of my Group Index and how it should look:

Here is how the code is now looking:

Hi Persephone, The <script> tag isn’t an allowed tag in HTML custom pages. It is stripped from pages, blog post, forum post or broadcast message, which is why you're seeing the "Please enter the page content" warning. 

Thank you Allison that is the information I was looking for, so the Group Index I have with it in there is no longer going to work?

It does have the <script> tag in it and I updated that a month ago.

Flash code in my Group Index updated as of now:

<script src="http://h1.flashvortex.com/display.php?id=2_1358050211_64847_509_17120_260_349_9_1_12" type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[

// ]]></script>

Flash Code I was trying to input:

<script src="http://h1.flashvortex.com/display.php?id=2_1361726195_7509_509_17120_257_235_9_1_20" type="text/javascript"></script>

The system would strip that code from any HTML section, so my best guess is that it wouldn't work and you'll run into the same error. Might still be a way to use the script via Custom Code, but I don't know exactly how it would be implemented.

Why is the script tag not allowed? Is it possible to set our own allowances for tags used on our own networks using the HTML method?

JavaScript can be added to the Custom Code section of your network. We have a list of supported iFrames and HTML tags, but I don't believe it's possible to set HTML tag allowances on a per network basis.

Script tags are stripped from blogs, forum discussions, etc. as a security measure to prevent members from adding bad code and bringing down your site.

That makes sense. I know some bad coders like to use script tags to put in code to try to do some damage and steel things that they have no right doing. I am a person who simply thinks if we had control over user permissions, those given the permissions of an administrator should get the ability to put script tags in to such pages. Along with an increased character limit.

These codes are not set in the custom code section but under Pages added, I have hundreds of  discussions and approx. 100 Groups set up using these Flash Codes so members can have these at their fingertips without searching. Now I guess I will have to move these (already have been) to another venue for them. Of course I will keep Ning but the larger sections that are studies and need specific grouping shall have to move.

What does the flash app do exactly?

Here is an example using a discussion, first I take the http:// url and input it in the proper place in the correct section of the Flash, then you give that discussion a name placed in the correct area as well:

Then once you have input all the discussions and/or Groups you are done. The finished product would look like this:

As you can see I have this set up as such just for Studies which includes hundreds of Discussions:

I am just trying to get it straight in my head lol that takes a bit! What can we use then? Any advise for us or options?

Try custom code for the script.

RSS

What's Up With Ning 3.0?

Click here to share your thoughts on what features we should develop next! - Survey will close Friday, 4/25

Projects that the Ning 3.0 Team is currently working on: 

Articles - a new way of organizing longer content pieces. Released 4/16.

Activity Feed Updates - options for more content in the activity feed.

Forum Notifications - ability for members to opt into receiving notifications of new discussions in forums. Released 4/9. 

APIs - The ability to create new members and content programatically.

For more information on what's next, visit the Product Roadmap

Latest Activity

soaringeagle replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"good"
29 minutes ago
Phil McCluskey replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"We reverted this change and will give it another shot early next week. Apologies for the bugs and…"
2 hours ago

NC for Hire
JFarrow replied to John Bizley's discussion 'Has anyone else considered using a tab container for help files ?'
"this tip is infinitely useful to NCs John .. I've been doing something similar, but instead of…"
4 hours ago
"category nav seems fixed  but custom page module still screwy but..great job on a very speredy…"
4 hours ago
Jelena replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Same as SE. That would be a problem with the Trademark name.."
6 hours ago
"same on all sites its a bug"
6 hours ago
Jelena replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Hi Riccardo I see no navegation on your network"
6 hours ago
Aaron replied to Rainer Glaap's discussion 'Heartbleed, MITM - Security Issues'
"Thanks for bringing this up! As Rainer mentioned, Ning.com wasn't vulnerable to the Heartbleed…"
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Ning.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service