Geolocation: Are Locations Added to Media Currently Treated as Tags?

This is of great interest to me.  When i go to a page of videos and run a search for say "Oklahoma" and select a video which has been tagged in "location" as "Oklahoma, USA" then click that, I am brought to a page with a URL like this:

http://landsurveyorsunited.com/video/video/listForLocation?location...

and a feed like this:

http://landsurveyorsunited.com/video/video/listForLocation?rss=yes&...

which is much different than searching for a Tag of "oklahoma" which brings me to a URL like this:

http://landsurveyorsunited.com/video/video/listTagged?tag=oklahoma

and a feed like this:

http://landsurveyorsunited.com/video/video/listTagged?tag=oklahoma&...

Now my question is....does that mean that the Ning api already has a predefined list of all locations on earth?  So in all actuality there are already location based tags for all locations??  or does this mean that a feed for a geolocation (ie. GeoRSS feed) is created for my network the second I tag a particular piece of content with "some location on earth"...or if i tagged a photo with "My living room" it would generate a geotag for that...

confusing...

I suppose what I am ultimately getting at which hasn't been documented on the ning help or anywhere on creators is... What is the Best Practice on Ning Platform for entering in Geographic Locations with photos and videos?

• Is geo lat/long fully supported?
  • Would country/state codes be supported?
  • Are simple City/State supported and on what level?

Or is it that geolocation is treated exactly like content subject tagging?  If so, it's interesting that in the list of feeds outlined on the Help site, the tag for location is never mentioned...

would love a little insight on this Ning, from an engineer preferrably if possible.

Tags: RSS, feeds, geolocation, location, photos, question, subjects, tagging, videos

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I'm interested too....
nothing?
It's the weekend
true
This is pretty far beyond my knowledge. If I can get someone to chime in, I will. Can't promise it, but I'll ask around.
thanks eric

still wishing someone would chime in on this discussion...Anybody???

RSS

What's Up With Ning 3.0?

Click here to share your thoughts on what features we should develop next! - Survey will close Friday, 4/25

Projects that the Ning 3.0 Team is currently working on: 

Articles - a new way of organizing longer content pieces. Released 4/16.

Activity Feed Updates - options for more content in the activity feed.

Forum Notifications - ability for members to opt into receiving notifications of new discussions in forums. Released 4/9. 

APIs - The ability to create new members and content programatically.

For more information on what's next, visit the Product Roadmap

Latest Activity

Luke Jones replied to Luke Jones's discussion 'Help'
"Ye I am :) I've tried all the options on google webmaster tools to let me verify my site,…"
50 minutes ago
Saurabh replied to Saurabh's discussion 'Title of a group home is not having group name'
"HI Crystal - Just wanted to know - has improved request filed for same.. There has been couple of…"
1 hour ago

NC for Hire
Bernard Lama replied to Luke Jones's discussion 'Help'
"Are you talking about google webmaster tool that you are able to verify your site? "
2 hours ago

NC for Hire
Bernard Lama replied to Jeffrey Haskins's discussion 'Need a Link for page addition on manage pages'
"Yeah why not ...you can add a link next to any links on group pages. Just go to Group Options>…"
2 hours ago
Phillip Brunelle replied to Crystal Coleman's discussion 'Ning 3.0 Progress Update for March and Let's Hear Your Thoughts'
"I'm hoping a video section is included in Ning 3.0 because my network is taking a loss of…"
2 hours ago

NC for Hire
Bernard Lama replied to Dutchlabel's discussion 'Align images horizontally'
"Hi there, Did you try this ever?"
3 hours ago
Troy Marquis replied to Troy Marquis's discussion 'Ning Activity feeds Going CooCoo's'
"its not its the profile pic of the uploader showing instead of the pic"
5 hours ago

NC for Hire
JFarrow replied to Troy Marquis's discussion 'Ning Activity feeds Going CooCoo's'
"this looks more like milicious member...or spam activity by a member uploading the same photos over…"
6 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Ning.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service