Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

Hello:

I received this message from Google today. Google is claiming that my networks at www.themodernvocalist.com , has some malware in it and the result is, anyone accessing my network on Firefox (who is interfaced with Google for malware reports) sends up the attached warning.  See attached:

There seems to be a process to have this removed, explained below with supporting links that then send you to www.stopbadware.org , a badware service that partners with Google. They also indicate that I need to go to Google Webmaster Tools to get more information for it.

When you look at www.stopbadware.org , “clearing house” on www.themodernvocalist.com , they reveal that the following domain is suspect, themodernvocalist.com . I recently had to change/update my CNAME to remove the ning extension, does this have something to do with this?! 

This is way over my head, I need help. This is killing my businesses and preventing people from going to my site. Im sure you will agree with me, it is unlikely there is any badware on my network giving that you are hosting the site… but you should first run a scan and determine if you can confirm that my network is clean or help me to resolve the problem, so I can then ask for a review by google and stopbadware.org to release the warning.

PLEASE HELP AND ADVISE?!!

Robert Lunte

THE MODERN VOCALIST

Robert J. Lunte I 425.444.5053

Founder I CEO I The Modern Vocalist.com

www.themodernvocalist.com

www.themodernvocalistjournal.com

robert@themodernvocalist.com

www.skype.com : "rjlseagull"

From: robert@themodernvocalist.com [mailto:robert@themodernvocalist.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:26 PM
To: robert@themodernvocalist.com
Subject: Fw: Malware notification regarding themodernvocalist.com

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 00:07:39 +0000

To: <abuse@themodernvocalist.com>; <admin@themodernvocalist.com>; <administrator@themodernvocalist.com>; <contact@themodernvocalist.com>; <info@themodernvocalist.com>; <postmaster@themodernvocalist.com>; <support@themodernvocalist.com>; <webmaster@themodernvocalist.com>

Subject: Malware notification regarding themodernvocalist.com

Dear site owner or webmaster of themodernvocalist.com,

We recently discovered that some of your pages can cause users to be infected with malicious software. We have begun showing a warning page to users who visit these pages by clicking a search result on Google.com.

Below are some example URLs on your site which can cause users to be infected (space inserted to prevent accidental clicking in case your mail client auto-links URLs):

http://themodernvocalist .com/
http://www.themodernvocalist .com/

Here is a link to a sample warning page:
http://www.google.com/interstitial?url=http%3A//themodernvocalist.com/

We strongly encourage you to investigate this immediately to protect your visitors. Although some sites intentionally distribute malicious software, in many cases the webmaster is unaware because:

1) the site was compromised
2) the site doesn't monitor for malicious user-contributed content
3) the site displays content from an ad network that has a malicious advertiser

If your site was compromised, it's important to not only remove the malicious (and usually hidden) content from your pages, but to also identify and fix the vulnerability. We suggest contacting your hosting provider if you are unsure of how to proceed. StopBadware also has a resource page for securing compromised sites:
http://www.stopbadware.org/home/security

Once you've secured your site, you can request that the warning be removed by visiting
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=45432
and requesting a review. If your site is no longer harmful to users, we will remove the warning.

Sincerely,
Google Search Quality Team

Note: if you have an account in Google's Webmaster Tools, you can verify the authenticity of this message by logging into https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/siteoverview and going to the Message Center, where a warning will appear shortly.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Robert,

The report indicates that the malware is hosted on another domain: 85.234.190.0, which has been responsible for putting malware on a couple of hundred other sites (report). I suspect that some advertising that was running on your network (along with a number of other sites) may be the culprit. You may want to remove the ads and the TMV Marketplace Activity widgets temporarily, and then request a review from Google via the Webmaster Tools per their instructions.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Phil, thanks for the tip and Ill try this... but to me it seems unlikely that the banner ads are the problem... these are just jpegs being served up from OpenX, a bannerad management system. These clients are friends of mine, very reliable... the Marketplace on the other hand is an application ning offers?

do you really think that malware is coming from jpeg files that are served out of OPenX?
  • Seems someone hacked into my OpenX bannerad management application and shoved iframes into the ad codes... it should be getting fixed now.
This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Ning via Facebook

#inspirewithNING #dj Feel inspired with cheerful spring and joyful minutes, filled with sounds…

Kos replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"What, in 2.0 themes, do you want Tony?  Most can be replicated with simple CSS.  Can you be more sp…"
6 hours ago
Kos replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning: Is it possible to enable the comments form on posted videos like we can for photos in activity feed.
""
7 hours ago
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Videos Playing In Activity Feed, check it out on my site, Now shows photos to ( Updated: 27-04-17 )
"Added some more updates on this so it works with photos now also."
7 hours ago
Tim Frank replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Thank you for the answer. My only regret is that it took just short of a month to get an empathetic…"
10 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning- Your design studio widget images are not loading
"Thanks, John,
I have posted the info about the fix of the embedded videos under more appropriate po…"
12 hours ago
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Video Issues Again For Embed Videos Showing Blank Box
"Yes I noticed that but I don't think that's a big issue as at least the embeds are working now and…"
12 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Video Issues Again For Embed Videos Showing Blank Box
"Hi John,
Yes you are right the issue with embedded videos has been fixed, however, it's only workin…"
12 hours ago
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning- Your design studio widget images are not loading
"Thanks for the update Kyryl, and I also see the embed videos images have also been fixed up. Nice w…"
13 hours ago
Tony Rosa replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi, i like it because some Ning 2 themes are very useful to some networks like for example Urban Te…"
13 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi, Tony!
As I know the new themes are not in the plan in Q2, but I'll post the suggestion to creat…"
13 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi, Tim!
We do apologise for the misunderstanding, unfortunately, our ticket system could have clos…"
14 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning- Your design studio widget images are not loading
"Hi, John!
The issue with the picture on the buttons in widgets in the design studio has been resolv…"
14 hours ago
Sarah Kerkman and Max G joined Ning Creators Network
15 hours ago
Ning via Facebook

#unitewithNING #social Facebook and Twitter popularity is the well-known fact. Nothing keeps…

Tim Frank replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"I am really happy that Ning is moving forward again. I hope that some of the improvement will focus…"
yesterday
Tony Rosa replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi,
In Q2 will there be the opportunity to choose between old themes similar to Ning 2 or similar?"
yesterday
Lizbeeth Yariela Santiago is now a member of Ning Creators Network
yesterday
Erika Hoff Holmgren replied to Erika Hoff Holmgren's discussion How do I edit my opening posts on the forum? Sticky options?
"OH, I finally realized what my problem was. I had managed to hide the buttons under my menu =u=; It…"
yesterday
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Video Issues Again For Embed Videos Showing Blank Box
"Well I do believe this has been fixed now. Just added a video via an embed from youtube and the ima…"
Tuesday
More…