Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

NC for Hire

Just made an updated tutorial for Mapping your Network Members.. check it out!

This is a follow-up discussion to the Design Hack which I posted 2 days ago, as promised.
If you've been looking for a way to map your members on the ning platform but have been pulling your hair out waiting on members to ADD THEMSELVES to the member map application, this is the work around for you.   You can find the finished product on the front page (and every page) of Land Surveyors United as well as the Surveyors Member Map Page.
Keep These Things in Mind:
  • The only way this will work is if you have a question in your profile questions which asks for exact location, geodetic coordinates or similar.
  • This will have to be reprocessed in the following fashion EVERYTIME you want to update your map
  • This will only work as a top level admin or NC
  • Its best to have a Gmail or Google Account to complete this tutorial, so get one if you do not have already.
  • In a follow up post I will show you how to give your members custom icons..
Step One:  Export your member data from the member moderation page in dashboard
Step Two:  Import that .CSV file to Google Docs- make sure that ALL COLUMNS HAVE DATA IN THEM because if you have too many empty cells in the spreadsheet, it will not process in the next step.
Step Three:  Head over to Mapalist.com and set up an account using the same Google/Google Docs account used in step 2.  Create a map and when prompted, choose the spreadsheet that you used in step 2.  Follow all of the instructions on Mapalist.com in order to convert the spreadsheet into a map with geolocations.
Step Four:  View/Manage the map you just made-grab the embed code and add it to a page on your network. (See figure 1)
Step Five:  Download the KML file which is at the bottom of the generated map, meant for Google Earth.
Step Six: Go to Google Maps while still logged into your google account and Create a Map which will be added to your "My Maps" section.  Now Import that KML file from step Five into that map which you've just started and named.
Step Seven:  You now have all of your members plotted on a google map, now look on the right hand side of the map and click "Link to This"-under it you will see customize this embed code.  A new screen will open.  Choose the correct size that you would like for your map to be and the embed code will be generated for you to embed in your network.  (see figure 2)
Now look at what you just made....aren't you a genius!

FIGURE 1

FIGURE 2

If you like this workaround, please do me a favor.  Call up every land surveyor that you personally know and ask them to please join Land Surveyors United as we are the best solution for a land surveyor when it comes to trouble shooting problems in the field.  Land Surveyors NEED Land Surveyors United.  Thanks and Enjoy!

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NC for Hire

glad you like it...unfortunately no way ive found to automate this grueling process

• I spent some time today tidying up and comment-ing a public "Google Mapping Example" spreadsheet for you to examine. Each row's data comes entirely from a linked Form.

Please remember that two intermediate things happen to this spreadsheet before anyone sees it on my map:

1. Certain cells get mirrored into another spreadsheet (read the Comments in columns K-W to understand how/why);
            2. I've set up the linked spreadsheet as a "Data Source" at MapChannels.com;
            3. I have some simple Javascript macros entered at MapChannels which pull data from certain columns ('Photo', 'Tool_Tip', etc.) to customize each placemark on the map.

Though there IS a learning curve involved in my method, it works beautifully without too much effort. I also bet that the other methods mentioned by other members in this thread are EASIER for beginners.

As for how to grab your members' data from their Profiles (which I don't do, because not all members WANT to be mapped...), asking for their address and ZIP is sufficient (as you'll see in my spreadsheet). But you'd obviously have to export manually as a CSV and import/translate with a Web tool. My spreadsheet geocodes everything automatically!
            • Thank you TimG - I'm going to study your method closely!
  • hey, which app are you using for map ? i have only found apps.io 

• its called Map A list

Its a Manual set up..

You will need to download all your members 

Upload to a google spreadsheet...

Map a list has an integration with Google Docs

Connect your google account to Map A List 

And  use your member list*the one you downloaded* and use it

• ok but it wont show members profile

• oh, actually it does , good hack, but can they update/change location them-selfs ?

• nope, you will need to update it yourself

• need someone to write that map script, that would pull a location from profile question 

• NC for Hire

I use the Geocode Awesome addon for Google Drive.  

Export your member data as CSV

Import it into Google Drive and open it as spreadsheet with addon installed to sheets

Combine the Location column with Country to create a new cell called "Full Address"

Geocode that column - it will generate two new columns for Latitude and Longitude

NOTE:  While it geocodes your locations, leave the page open and do not switch to a new tabs to do other things....let it run... if you have a lot of members, watch a movie while it runs or it will stop and hang...best to use in Chrome

Then you'll be presented with an option to create a heat map from the sheet and you have two choices  

1) Either export the sheet as a CSV file to import into other map platforms like Carto.com or Mapbox

2) Generate your map using Awesome table...

Either one you choose, you'll want to edit the HTML of the infobox.

Hope this helps

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Thisisbully replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Not true I've been on my site all day"
7 minutes ago
Kos replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Pingdom said I came back up at 4:30.  Did a hard refresh and my Chat is posting as well.   Try a ha…"
14 minutes ago
Brandyn Shepherd replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Network is back up... but, chat is no longer working."
53 minutes ago
"Did a hard refresh = nothing here. Still waiting.  Glad they got you back up!"
1 hour ago
Brandyn Shepherd replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Any way you can tell us what is being worked on or updated? Like... what kind of changes should we…"
1 hour ago
Diego Boada replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"I'm happy to report that my Ning network is functional now. We have scheduled training sessions wit…"
1 hour ago
"Pingdom says we've been down since 9:45 this morning.  It's now 3:22 pm.  *sigh*  Come on Ning!  Th…"
1 hour ago
"Now' I've been kicked out too.  We are waiting........*tapping fingers*"
3 hours ago
Christopher Lyon replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Thanks for communicating about this, at least. That's huge. Still frustrating, but hearing somethin…"
3 hours ago
Diego Boada replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"I'm still waiting for my network to be up and running. We were in the middle of a training for our…"
3 hours ago
Tahíta replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"No funciona mi red  http://rioabierto.ning.com/ HELP ME!!!
"Network not launched yet"."
3 hours ago
Shamshir Rai Luthra replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Our Efforts - Your Feedback
"Hehe! Brandyn - I Got the joke! This is blackmail! Hehe - but yes, 'Your Network Is Down' signs are…"
4 hours ago
George H. Compton IV replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Thank you Kyryl!!! :)"
4 hours ago
Anam replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Our Efforts - Your Feedback
"I understand, just I try to save my anxiety for the real stuff in life. Doesn't always work and of…"
4 hours ago
Diego Boada replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Our Efforts - Your Feedback
"They might be doing their best but we need a reliable site. The very least they can do is to announ…"
4 hours ago
Brandyn Shepherd replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Our Efforts - Your Feedback
"Just stinks... because, I did some promotion yesterday and always pick up new members. People who h…"
4 hours ago
Manuel Adame Jimenez replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Thank you Kyryl light be
My network is already up
☆♡☆"
4 hours ago
Brandyn Shepherd replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Our Efforts - Your Feedback
"I do believe they are doing their best and they do a good job. I was just trying to be funny :)"
4 hours ago
Anam replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Our Efforts - Your Feedback
"I don't agree....life happens. Not even your next breath is guaranteed. I think they are doing thei…"
4 hours ago
J.Ayvar replied to Kyryl_Ning_Support's discussion Network not launched yet issue
"Hello!

It would be great if the error message in our networks will be " Under Maintenance" So, New…"
4 hours ago
More…