You can place a store onto your mobile network using an affiliate store site. In this tip I'm using Amazon aStore. (You will need to know basic html coding!) (You will also need an additional hosted server like Godaddy.)
Setting up your mobile page:
1) Go to "Mobile" under the "Settings" in your Manage section.
2) Click on the big green + sign.
3) Click on the "page type" drop down menu and select "HTML".
4) Title it with "Store" (or whatever you call yours).
Creating html (to place in the HTML box just under step 4 above):
5) I created a Table with 3 rows & 1 column. (100% width) See attachment.
6) In the top column write in "Mobile Store from your Android and iphone" (I do this for SEO purposes - Ning as not yet provided us with a way to change the mobile urls & meta tags so some sentencing in here might help)
*at the end of the sentence I typed "Desktop" with it linked to my actual website store, Surf Shop.
7) In the second column I created an iframe with a width of 100% and length of 4000 with the source of step 12 below.
8) In the third row I placed more text about my Mobile Store again for SEO purposes. (Write a little about your mobile store here)
I created pages with my Amazon aStore on my server (you will need a hosted server to do this!)
9) I made a template page with another table of 2 rows and 1 column (100% width).
10) In the first column I made brand name icons (that link to other pages I created for my mobile store).
11) I created an aStore widget at a width of 320 with 2 column products and 10 rows and embedded it into the 2nd column.
12) I saved & uploaded this page onto my server and called it: "/mobile_store.html" I now have my iframe "source" for step No. 7
13) Now place the iframe of step 7 into the HTML box of step 1 thru 4.
Create more pages onto your server with steps 9 thru 13:
14) Change the store widget with another category of products.
15) I embed the widget into step 11 above.
16) I saved it as "/mobile_store-2" and uploaded it to my server.
17) Link the appropriate icons from step 10 to step 16 (or step 18)
18) Repeat step 14 thru 17 until you have all your store categories.
Please see my Mobile Surf Store and let me know what you think!
My mobile surf shop was just created last night so it has a good week of work on to go. By the end of next week there will be many changes. You can come back to review it as I go at:
Wow! This works? Sounds great.
Jumping Jupiter! I don't have a server, have no idea how to make tables, but this is a great idea! This is something everyone should jump on. Congrats to you, Scott!
Whoops! Just noticed you attached the template. Sweet! Thanks bro!
Ugh! But I still need a server. Oh well, still a fantastic idea and great share.
If you have another website you can host your mobile pages on there or if your Ning is hosted thru someone like Godaddy to a have a sub domain you can just get hosted there for a server to place pages.
My domain is hosted at GoDaddy. Hmm. I'll have a go at this. Thanks again.
Couldn't you also upload your files through File Manager in Dashboard?
Hmmm... In theory that should work. Wonder if it would though.
Hey Scott, Can i create a customized home page for ning mobile platform they way you have described and link activity, blog, photo etc from home page rather than currently available small drop down.
Yes, you can.
Can you tell me how to go about this
You can do this by following steps 9 thru 13, but in step 10 use a drop down menu of your choice instead of icons like I did.
I suggest using Jens Social site, Toggle Content, for your drop down.
You will still have Nings drop down in addition to yours because this will all be iframed within your Ning mobile page.