Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

NC for Hire
[16 NOV 2012] I have updated the script to v1.1.0 , please copy and paste the new script code into your custom code. Scroll down to see whats new. This script is only compatible with Ning 2.0

Hello Creators,

My final exams are temporary on a break , so I have some time to work on mods for creators.

So here it is

Introducing QuickInfo

What it does?

When user hover over a thumbnail for example: members module thumbnails , latest activity thumbnails , comment section thumbnails, forum replies thumbnails. They can see that user's info : age , sex , location.

How it works?

It works by using jQuery .load() to get info from the user profile then display it out.

Pros & Cons:

Pros: User won't need to go to a user profile to see their info (name,age,location), some users dislikes to visit others profiles because of heavy profile customization , annoying music and so on. They just need to hover their mouse over that particular user thumbnail and it will show the info to them.

This script is lightweight : 5.91KB

Cons: It might be a bit slow loading for users who have slow connection , the loading refers to when loading up user's info. For me , I am on 180kbps connection , it takes about 1.5 sec to load the info.

-----NEW [ 16NOVEMBER 2012]

Now with Add As Friend and Message.

Language Customizable

Just change the qimessagetxt and qifriendtxt values.

More CSS customization

I have moved all the css from the script into the style area which you can modify easily.

Installation:

Just paste the code below into your Custom Code(My Network > Custom Code)

<script type="text/javascript">

var qimessagetxt = "Message";

var qifriendtxt = "Add As Friend";

</script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://elsodev.com/projects/quickinfo/script.js"></script>
<style>

/*QuickInfo CSS*/

/*By Elson Tan*/

/*You can put this into a css file then link href it in custom code*/
#qinfo-display { position: relative; background: #ffffff; border: 1px solid #ccc; } #qinfo-display:after, #qinfo-display:before { top: 100%; border: solid transparent; content: " "; height: 0; width: 0; position: absolute; pointer-events: none; } #qinfo-display:after { border-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0); border-top-color: #ffffff; border-width: 7px; left: 50%; margin-left: -5px; } #qinfo-display:before { border-color: rgba(204, 204, 204, 0); border-top-color: #ccc; border-width: 8px; left: 50%; margin-left: -6px; }
#qinfo-cont{border:none!important;z-index:99;width:220px;height:130px;background:transparent;position:absolute;}
#qinfo-display{-webkit-box-shadow: 3px 0px 8px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);-moz-box-shadow:3px 0px 8px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);box-shadow:3px 0px 8px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);width:220px;height:120px;background:#fff;color:#242424;z-index:99;border:1px solid #ccc;}
#qinfo-img{margin-right:5px;background:#eee;width:70px;height:70px;float:left;}
#qinfo{float:left;width:auto;height:auto;max-width:180px;min-width:50px;word-wrap:break-word;background:transparent;}
#qicontrols{width:220px;height:30px;background-color:#f2f2f2;border:none!important;}
.uibutton{position:relative;z-index:1;overflow:visible;display:inline-block;padding:0.3em 0.6em 0.375em;border:1px solid #999;border-bottom-color:#888;margin:0;text-decoration:none!important;text-align:center!important;font:bold 11px/normal 'lucida grande',tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif;white-space:nowrap;cursor:pointer;color:#333!important;background-color:#eee;background-image:-webkit-gradient(linear,0 0,0 100%,from(#f5f6f6),to(#e4e4e3));background-image:-moz-linear-gradient(#f5f6f6,#e4e4e3);background-image:-o-linear-gradient(#f5f6f6,#e4e4e3);background-image:linear-gradient(#f5f6f6,#e4e4e3);filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorStr='#f5f6f6',EndColorStr='#e4e4e3');-webkit-box-shadow:0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.1),inset 0 1px 0 #fff;-moz-box-shadow:0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.1),inset 0 1px 0 #fff;box-shadow:0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.1),inset 0 1px 0 #fff;zoom:1;*display:inline}.uibutton:hover,.uibutton:focus,.uibutton:active{border-color:#777 #777 #666!important}.uibutton:active{border-color:#aaa;background:#ddd;filter:none;-webkit-box-shadow:none;-moz-box-shadow:none;box-shadow:none}.uibutton::-moz-focus-inner{padding:0;border:0}
/*--End of CSS--*/
</style>

And that's it , once installed , head to your home page and start hovering on thumbnails!

FAQs:

1.Does the add friend link show if I'm already friends with a user I'm hovering?

Nope , QuickInfo knows whether you are friend or not friends with a user, it only display Add As Friend when you are not friends with them.

2.How add as friend works?

It brings you to that user profile page once you clicked on it and launches the Send friend request box.

3.How does Message works?

It directly takes you to Send A Message to that user page.

4.Can I put the CSS into a file?

Yes , you can , make sure you use <link href="quickinfo.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"> inside your custom code.

5.Can I put the CSS into Design Studio/Appearance?

Better not , because if you put in there , member's profile theme/css can overwrite it and cause QuickInfo style to be wiped. You can put it in deisgn studio/appearance if you disabled profile customization for your network users.

If you like this , I hope you can follow me on Twitter @elsodev

For more news & updates from me.

You can check my site too for more info about me

Warning, if you are caught distributing or selling this script without my permission , i have rights to block your network from using this script. Original copy of this script can only be obtained through this post. Thanks.

Thank You and Enjoy.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NC for Hire

note: if the member has no basic info(age , sex , loc) or their profile is private , QuickInfo will only show their enlarged profile photo , name with link to their profile.

• Well done

• Is it possible to add the "add friend" link to it or a short link to view profile in quick info box

• It works perfect. Thanks.

• sweet and great idea ningstar hope he implements that

• Thanks Elson! I'll give it a try on my network later today.

• great!

• NC for Hire

nice mod!

• Well done, thanks, love it - BIG UP !!!

• Very good!

Just need to see the city when the limb is very large, he cuts and throws down the text

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…