#Ning 2.0: A BETTER ACTIVITY FEED - THE CONCEPT OF "ADD TO MY FEED" BUTTON

I came across a recent discussion started by Jords titled "Ning 2.0" am inspired by this and i have decided to throw in my view towards the movement on development of Ning 2.0 as thought out by Jords. Ning 2.0 is long overdue and we "Creators" worked hard to master and build great online communities on Ning but at the same time we have discovered major flaws in the platform that limits our innovation and ability to go the extra mile. I guess it is time to look ahead, it is time for NING 2.0 - THE NEXT BIG THING. I have studied how online social communities work and i must say that the ACTIVITY FEED/NEWS FEED drives member engagement, it is like a window through which members get to see what is trending in the community at a particular time and also serves as an information hub as members get to follow up on discussions, friends activities etc. On the Ning platform, the activity feed is broken into two, we have the main page activity feed which shows what is going on in the whole network and the profile activity feed which tracks members activities and interactions to members contents on the network.

As a member on a Ning network, the challenge one gets in the current profile page Activity feed is lack of information control making it somewhat useless to members. The profile page activity feed needs a BOOST there is need to give members total control over what they should see in their profile page activity feed. I have thought about this and based on member feedback, here is what i think members would like to see:

- Feeds on friends activities

- Members want something like a "Add to My Feed" button for discussions, groups, events, blogs, videos and members they find interesting but who is not in their friends list. It means that when a member finds an interesting video or photo in the network they can click "Add to My Feed" button to get activity feeds on comments/discussions posted by members about the video or photo in their profile activity feed. Also when a member joins a group they can click the "Add to My Feed" button for the group to get activity feeds on discussions and other contents posted within the group on their profile activity feed.

To explain further, items added to feed can be removed from feed by clicking a "Remove from Feed" button, lets say when a member clicks the "Add to my Feed" button the button automatically changes to "Remove from Feed" upon which if members click it, feeds from that item will stop showing in member profile activity feed.

- Add tabs to profile activity feed

Since we now have two tabs on main page activity feed ie. "Top News" and "Everything", we can have two tabs for the new profile activity feed i have mention here as "Friends" and "Everything". The "Friends" tab will show all members friends activity while the "Everything" tab in addition to tracking members activities and interactions to members contents on the network, will show feeds of items members have added to the profile activity feed through "Add to My Feed" button.

If we can get "Add to My Feed" button for profile activity feed module i think we can boost members engagement on Ning 2.0

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope NIng considers and implements this feature.

It will be nice to have this on the roadmap this year.

Agree!

To explain further, items added to feed can be removed from feed by clicking a "Remove from Feed" button, lets say when a member clicks the "Add to my Feed" button the button automatically changes to "Remove from Feed" upon which if members click it, feeds from that item will stop showing in member profile activity feed.

Since we now have two tabs on main page activity feed ie. "Top News" and "Everything", we can have two tabs for the new profile activity i have mention here as "Friends" and "Everything". The "Friends" tab will show all members friends activity while the "Everything" tab will show feeds of items members have added throught "Add to My Feed" button.

Nice idea..

Thanks

Let's take the Ning platform higher, Ning 2.0

+1

"The ACTIVITY FEED/NEWS FEED drives member engagement, it is like a window through which members get to see what is trending in the community."

1. Now that is a good quote! I think I will frame it on my desktop lol! A friends feed is a must! Although NC's have niche networks not everyone who joins wants to see everyone's activities on the network. If that were the case why have a befriending feature. Let's just all be friends, we already see all activities on the network lol. Yes, a friends feed is a must.

2. This is a good concept!

3. Tabular!! Love tabs!! Love.Love.LOVE!

Very grand ideas!! Thanks for contributing and promoting NING 2.0!

Thanks Jords let's take Ning to the next level :)

how do i get tabs on my main activity feed?

RSS

What's Up With Ning 3.0?

Click here to share your thoughts on what features we should develop next! - Survey will close Friday, 4/25

Projects that the Ning 3.0 Team is currently working on: 

Articles - a new way of organizing longer content pieces. Released 4/16.

Activity Feed Updates - options for more content in the activity feed.

Forum Notifications - ability for members to opt into receiving notifications of new discussions in forums. Released 4/9. 

APIs - The ability to create new members and content programatically.

For more information on what's next, visit the Product Roadmap

Latest Activity

Jeffrey Haskins replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Articles and the Author Bio Box'
"Sounds about right"
25 minutes ago
Strumelia replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Articles and the Author Bio Box'
"Well i suppose we could speculate endlessly...."
28 minutes ago
Stelios Karavias replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Articles and the Author Bio Box'
"For another "vids" already embedded in a 2.0 network are in many ways like pages.…"
31 minutes ago
soaringeagle replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Articles and the Author Bio Box'
"i could definately see that  for search anyways but also keep in mind complexity  and…"
46 minutes ago
Strumelia replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Articles and the Author Bio Box'
"I'm wondering about that, Stelios.  But Ning will have to explain if that is really so in…"
51 minutes ago
Strumelia replied to Alexander's discussion 'Goodbye for now.'
"Oh man.   Another bright and creative one leaving.   So sorry to see you…"
55 minutes ago
Stelios Karavias replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Articles and the Author Bio Box'
"Strumelia, just a thought here. It is not unusual in developing a system, that some things have to…"
58 minutes ago
Strumelia replied to Enrrico Torres's discussion 'Want to remove powered by from footer'
"Crystal, here's my problem with this setup, and I admit I'm miffed about it- On my 2.0,…"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Ning.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service