Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Ning 3.0 Tip: Add CSS to Member Profiles

Brought to you by popular demand on my site, jQuery to add CSS to your member profiles! 

Also inspired by SweetPotato's discussion and the use of "contains" for jQuery, I was able to adapt some of my own jQuery from my wordpress powered site to work for Ning 3.0 to allow members to add CSS to their profiles. 

PROFILE BEFORE:

PROFILE AFTER:

1)  To add this feature to your Ning 3.0 site you will need to add a profile question that contains the word "Style".  You will want to set the answer to use the Long Answer option.  I have also set mine to not show up in advanced searches.

For example:  Profile Style

Include CSS by adding it to the answer portion of the question.  Your CSS MUST include at least the "body" portion of the code.

For example: body {background-color: #191919;}

2)  Go to the Custom Code section of your Ning 3.0 site and add the following script to the End of Page Code box.

Add CSS to Member Profiles for V1 Themes

<script type="text/javascript">
x$(document).ready(function() {
x$('.profileCoverArea-question:contains("Style")').remove(); //remove the question from view

var background = x$('.profileCoverArea-questionAndAnswer:contains("body")').text(); //get the text from the .profileCoverArea-question field

x$('body').append('<style>'+background+'</style>'); //append it to the body

x$('.profileCoverArea-questionAndAnswer:contains("body")').hide(); //hide the table row with the css
});
</script>

Add CSS to Member Profiles for V2 Themes

Thanks to George H Compton IV this code has been adapted to work in V2 themes.

For V2 you will need to add the about box onto the profile page.
You'll need to go to
>Site & Pages
>My page
and add the (About) module.
Script will go to the same Custom Code section of your Ning 3.0 site, the End of Page Code box.

<!--  AnGellas Add CSS to Member Profiles themes v2 -->
<script type="text/javascript">
x$(document).ready(function() {
var background = x$('.aboutTab-questionAndAnswer P.aboutTab-answer:contains("body")').text(); //get the text from the
x$('body').append('<style>'+background+'</style>'); //append it to the body
x$('DIV.aboutTab-questionAndAnswer:contains("body")').hide(); //hide the table row with the css
});
</script>

Members will now be able to add CSS to their profile page!

Here is my Own page as a working example:

http://skemanon.ning.com/members/AnGella

The CSS I used remains responsive.  Here is a snippet to get you started:

body /*Background*/{
background-color: #191919;
background-image: url("http://") !important;
background-attachment: fixed;
background-position: bottom center;
background-repeat: repeat;
}
.content/*Text*/{
color: #fff !important;
}
a /*Links*/{
color: #999 !important;
}
a:hover /*Links on Hover*/{
color: #6b6b6b !important;
}

This can be customized as much as the user wishes, but for the sake of simplicity I have only added the CSS basics.

GUIDE FOR RETAINING RESPONSIVE CSS:

So long as you do not add the width property to any selectors, all CSS should remain responsive as it is piggy backed onto the site's main CSS.  For more information on basic CSS please see my discussion here:  Cascading Style Sheets AKA: CSS

Happy Coding!
AnGella

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, thanks! Does this fix the recent issue people had with signing into sites that used the CSS?

I haven't had time to look into that. With an 18 month old baby I just don't have time to mess with the never ending changes on Ning.
      • As long as you don't set the question to mandatory it will be all right.

I know the feeling Angela you have a great day.

• Thanks so much for the reply. I was panicked. My test site is still on a legacy theme and still working.
          • I'm using themes2 and those tips still work perfectly . Yours and sweetpotatoes as long as the questions aren't set to required and you have the about tab on your profile.  Thank you again for your CSS tip :-)

• I forgot to add part four. So I'm going to delete the original and add the last piece of code to. Sorry LOL :-)

• I think this does not work anymore I tried to do it but it did not work, it only worked if the member is an administrator.

• None of these are working for me. Is there a new version for the most current updates?

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…