We're excited to announce that Ning Apps now have the ability to appear on the Main page of your network. It's up to individual 3rd-party developers to take advantage of this just-launched functionality, but look for updated versions of Ning Apps to appear over the coming days and weeks.
Here are some overall notes about Ning Apps on the Main page...
- Ning Apps currently appear in the center column of the Main page, and their placement can be adjusted via the "Features" section of the "Manage" tab.
- The "Features" section also allows for easy removal of Ning Apps Main page placements (while retaining the standard "Tab" placement). The "Edit" button in the upper-right corner of Ning Apps Main page placements acts as a shortcut to the "Features" section.
Here are a few things to note for Ning Apps you may currently have installed...
- If you have an existing Ning App installed, it won't automatically appear on your Main page. If you'd like to keep it that way, no action is required.
- If you would like to add the Main page placement for an already-installed app, there are two scenarios:
1) If the 3rd-party developer has updated their app to support the new Main page placement, you can add it to the Main page by visiting the "Features" section, then dragging the app's icon into your Main page layout area.
2) If the 3rd-party developer hasn't yet updated their app to support the new Main page placement, you can still prepare for the future. Just visit the "Features" section and drag the app's icon into your Main page layout area. An invisible "placeholder" module will be created on the Main page, and the app's Main page view will automatically appear once it's added by the 3rd-party developer.
Here are a few things to note for new Ning Apps that you install going forward...
- If a 3rd-party developer is taking advantage of the new Main page functionality, a placement will automatically appear on the Main page when installing a new Ning App.
- If a 3rd-party developer isn't yet taking advantage of the Main page placement but decides to support it in the future, their newly-added Main page placement will automatically appear on your Main page when they enhance their app. NOTE: This automatic placement addition only applies to Ning Apps installed after today's release, not for pre-existing Ning Apps (as outlined above). If you want to install a new Ning App but not have a Main page view automatically appear in the future, simply visit the "Features" section, then drag the app's "placeholder" module out of your Main page layout area.