Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

There is a Ning to Jamroom forum opened on Jamroom and they are offering a migration path away from Ning, that is not only viable, but empowering and easy to implement. An automated tool has been developed to migrate your Ning Archive JSON files into Jamroom 5, their new "state of the art" script.

This is not just for musicians, although their support is unbeatable in this area. The new script is modular, highly configurable, and adapts to any type of CMS or social networking need. The core is free, and you can take it for a test drive to see for yourself. One click module installs, add additional functionality. You pay only for what you need, with a small one time fee which includes future updates.

The forum has DOCS, FAQS, plus you can ask questions and get official staff responses. Going forward, this is the preferred method of contact, since it saves time and helps keep everything organized in one area.

Personally, I ran "Indie Gospel Artists" as a full featured Ning Pro site for years. It has been migrated over to indiegospel.net and has all categories functional. Yes, that includes music, videos, and events. The Jamroom version sports a responsive grid CSS skin, which is compatible with all devices and browsers. It has full ecommerce, unparalleled social connectivity, and advanced features which quite frankly make Ning 2 and 3 look like a joke.

Most importantly, it is open source. So unlike the Ning debacle with Livewired (now APPS IO), 3rd party development is encouraged. Migrants are no longer hostage to Ning's (or anyone's) policy whims, since you own the script.

In fact, before I officially open the doors at the new location, I am doing some mods not even possible on Ning, since there is no access to their closed script. Don't take my word for it, here is a testimonial from someone who has a varied experience with Ning alternative sites:

"I strongly recommend to promote this not only for media sites which may come from Ning but for all sites users can have there, even blogging communities, painting communities, fishing communities and whatsoever as Jamroom can not compare to what Ning offers now! I have worked with Joomla, Boonex, Wordpress, Ning, SocialEngine, Phpfox, Skadate, Oxwall but Jamroom is the best, as it offers all the features one can think of, easy to handle and to manage, the administration of the site easy to use, the scripts are easy to understand and very flexible, the site design can be easely modified in order to suit specific visions, it offers multilanguage support and one of the most important things for a CMS Webmaster / Admin, great, great support! Alex @ Http://Muzicieni-Trupe.Ro

If this is interesting to you, please register and join the discussion here - https://www.jamroom.net/ning-to-jamroom/forum

Ken Rich

Indie Gospel

Network Creator

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Replies

• Will be joining this evening.  I aim to try out a test site with JR, and if it looks goods will migrate out of this dead end that is 'Gling'.   Thanks for everything Ken-   You, and the JR team, are awesome!    :)

• Cool beans... See you there... Also I just updated the above with a testimonial that is impressive to me, since this person went around the block with a number of Ning alternatives, yet ranks Jamroom head and shoulders above the rest...

I don't have experience with those alternatives for a comparison, so this is enlightening...

"I strongly recommend to promote this not only for media sites which may come from Ning but for all sites users can have there, even blogging communities, painting communities, fishing communities and whatsoever as Jamroom can not compare to what Ning offers now! I have worked with Joomla, Boonex, Wordpress, Ning, SocialEngine, Phpfox, Skadate, Oxwall but Jamroom is the best, as it offers all the features one can think of, easy to handle and to manage, the administration of the site easy to use, the scripts are easy to understand and very flexible, the site design can be easely modified in order to suit specific visions, it offers multilanguage support and one of the most important things for a CMS Webmaster / Admin, great, great support! Alex @ Http://Muzicieni-Trupe.Ro

• Ken

Do you have any live examples of good jamroom sites.  They all seem rather dark, with small fonts to me.  I assume you could replicate the look and feel of your present site on Ning?

Some links to examples would be great

• Hi Traddie,

This link is live now - http://indiegospel.net

At the time of your question it was behind a maintenance screen. I'm still tweaking it, so have not sent logins to my members and have disabled sign-ups, but a least what's done is visible now.

As you can see it is light themed. That's a reworked Nova skin on the front page, go to a member profile and you will see a "Pro" skin, like here:

http://indiegospel.net/ken-rich/audio/1063/teach-me

That's a song from my profile, here is my blog section:
      http://indiegospel.net/ken-rich/blog

• Actually there are a number of ready made skins which are light themed. Projam Light and MSKin light for example.

The default Ning skin is built around the Nova" skin which is (in my opinion) an ugly grey. So I spent a great deal of time creating a bright while version, which (when finalized) will become the new Ning Default skin.

You don't have to stay with the default, other skins can be installed with one click. You just pick the one that's closest to what you want and modify if desired. You can also completely white label, unlike Ning 3 there is no requirement for a Powered by Jamroom logo in the footer, but I put one as a thank-you to the staff there.

My mainenance scree will drop sonn, meanwhile here are a few "screenshots" which show it adapting to different size screens. Mind you, that is the MSkin light skin I was experimenting with, now I have a light Nova version but still use the MSkin for profiles...

• This reply was deleted.
    • Lora just know that many of the tools and modules in JR are still being developed and are in beta testing right now and may not be totally ready just yet.  But the team is ON it, making things better and better every day for possible ning migrants. 

Shouldn't be long at all until it's easier and more familiar for non-coding ning creators to utilize than it is right at this moment.  Right now it may seem somewhat confusing just looking around there.  My strong feeling is that within a couple months it's going to be better than Ning 2.0 OR the 'legendary' ning 3.0.   Seriously!   :)

• This reply was deleted.
        • Lora just know that a bunch of amazing people are testing and coding and tweaking as we speak, at an amazing speed, to get things in order over there.  Do some more reading about it both here and over there- better to do a little more reading b4 you start asking a whole bunch of questions which have already been asked and answered there and here several times- those guys are terrific but they are working on overtime right now- with all of us in mind.  :)   it's exciting!

• Dear Paul, I am assuming this email gets to Paul at Jamroom I am a creator of 2 Ning websites. I have been following developments on the migration of Ning websites to Jamroom and would like to give it a try. To do this I would like to use my less active Ning network www.seatofwisdomcollege.com  , a small community I created for my Alma mater. If that works fine, then I will move my bigger and more active network www.myeeonline.com  to Jamroom. Let me know I can proceed. P.S Signing up at your forum has been a problem for me. Every time I try to sign up it says the email I have used has already been used. So I go to log in and use the same email address and it says the password is incorrect. So I go to "forgot password" click and input the same email they said had already been used hoping to get a link sent to me, then I get a message saying there is no account associated with the email address. Weird! I have tried with two email addresses I use and got the same issue which is why I now write to you directly from my mail box. When I decided to write to you directly from my email box I sent the first mail to support@jamroom.com and got a "failure in delivery" return mail. So now I am trying a second mail to admin@ningtojamroom.com hoping to get through. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle to sign up, should it?   myeverydayenglish@yahoo.co.uk  is me as well as denis@myeeonline.com  I look forward to reading from you soon. Regards Denis
            • Hi Dennis,

Paul is out of town until the 21st but I'll make sure the Jamroom team sees this. Brian has been spearheading the effort in Paul's absence.

Ken

• Hi Denis

After importing the first batch of Ningsters to Jamroom, we found a few issues with the way Ning Groups and Discussions were treated and we are working through those now. They are pretty well done and we are just finalising the import scripts.

What I suggest you do is read our import documentation here - https://www.jamroom.net/ning-to-jamroom/documentation/ning2jamroom - so that you have an idea of what is involved with the import process.

Follow the process up to and including step 3 so that your Ning archive is uploaded to your new Jamroom site. Then contact me at support [at] jamroom [dot] net with your FTP and Jamroom logins and I'll do the rest.

I'm out of town until next weekend but downloading/uploading your Ning archive could well take a few days so it could be ready to go by the time I get back.

Paul (Jamroom Team)

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Kevin Acosta replied to Kevin Acosta's discussion Photo uploads being auto resized
"Yeah, well please pass along to the programmers in charge of such decisions that this new "feature"…"
1 hour ago
Ning via Facebook

#createwithNING Each online community is unique and special. What`s YOUR secret of network…

Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi Stanislav,
I do apologise for the misunderstanding. It seems that my colleague has decided that…"
16 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Kevin Acosta's discussion Photo uploads being auto resized
"Hi there!
The same question has been mentioned in this discussion http://creators.ning.com/forum/to…"
16 hours ago
Sherry Ritchie and James joined Ning Creators Social Network
16 hours ago
Stanislav replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Kyryl, here is my ticket log with Anastasia, from which I understood I need to create new page and…"
17 hours ago
Aubrey Williams replied to Aubrey Williams's discussion Paid Access 2017
"Thanks for the response Kyryl, but based on Ning's history of not launching things on time, I can't…"
18 hours ago
Aubrey Williams replied to Aubrey Williams's discussion Paid Access 2017
"Naveen, please tell me more. Were you able to integrate Stripe with your Ning site in a way that re…"
18 hours ago
Kevin Acosta replied to Kevin Acosta's discussion Photo uploads being auto resized
"Well, even the FULL SIZE 38.5" x 36" poster that I attache was scaled down, so now that doesn't eve…"
yesterday
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Aubrey Williams's discussion Paid Access 2017
"Hi there,
We plan to initially release the PaidAccess for Ning 3.0 with PayPal and credit card supp…"
yesterday
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Naveen Jain's discussion Wiki like functionality in Ning
"Hi there!
Unfortunately, we don't have the module on our platform that would be working in the way…"
yesterday
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi there!
Thanks for the question.
No, you don't have to create the new network each time the new f…"
yesterday
Matt replied to Aubrey Williams's discussion Paid Access 2017
"Good point, Stripe is awesome. "
yesterday
ASDKFljflkj is now a member of Ning Creators Social Network
yesterday
Alliance replied to Alliance's discussion Profile members on MY Page
"Thanks so much for this help things look sooooo much better now."
yesterday
Bizz ( John ) replied to Alliance's discussion Profile members on MY Page
"You could also try this which I have on my site just now for testing. This will adjust the avatar s…"
Sunday
"As matrix items are shared with other parts of the network if you add that then this would affect t…"
Sunday
Stanislav replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi, I'm waiting you to implement all new features to the Network in Q2 and want to start my network…"
Sunday
Alliance replied to Alliance's discussion Profile members on MY Page
"Thank you 
Right now I have a big space between each item. Following that same logic, the container…"
Sunday
"You can adjust the avatar sizes with this, just change the width to the size required.
.section-mem…"
Saturday
More…