but how does one search ning for networks of interest? At ning.com, there is no search box to search the system for networks. Am I up too late for an old man or is there really no way to search the system using keywords.

Views: 43

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Didn't there used to be a search on the ning.com home page?
Only if it's '50s and '60s and blaring from the radio of an antique, classic or custom car or bike :)
www.cruiseinpix.com
Thanks Russell; I love car shows and so it was a natural. Not much happening during the winter but during the summer, I normally hit at least one a week and then share the show via photographs with others. The original purpose of the site was to showcase my car art and hopefully sell a few items to supplement my SS.

And Bob, I DEFINITELY have to agree with that.
At first I was like Uh oh shameless self promotion :-) then I check out the site and I was like "Wow, this guy knows that he is doing." Just viewing your site is an education. Nice work on the Member Search. I concur Great work!
Maybe for now, go to google search and add to your search this text "site:ning.com"

so, if searching for pets, use this:

pets site:ning.com
Thanks Vince, I'll give that a try.
Good grief, I love how you think. I would have never thought to do this - - and I'm the goog-ling queen, LOL. Not that I would use it, seriously. But, a lot of members on the NingDir will love this. Hope you don't mind me sharing. Truth is, this will probably produce betters results than any Search, that even Ning could install.

Thanks for sharing,
Jen
Some of us really, really, really don't want there to be a way to search for other Ning networks, because some of us got really sick of being spammed and having our members poached.
And some of us didn't sign up to be part of a network of networks.
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning. But that's because I have a very narrow niche site. (www.hinsonroots.org). I'm never spammed and really don't care if my members join other sites. I'm aware that I'll never earn any money from the site so numbers are not as important to me as content.
(Kate) Ask ning for webdav access. Then, put a robot.txt file in there to stop all search engines from indexing your site. Google will respect it. If that cant happen, then maybe you can try this code in Google box:

<script>x$("head").append(\'<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">\')</script>

What that does is adds META TAG code to your header (dynamically) and tells search engines not to index your site page and not to follow any other pages.

It "might" work (90% chance) because its appended at the end, but needs testing.
Ummm... Vince... (and anyone else wanting to edit the robots.txt file):

There's a much easier way to do this: Ning provides you with the tool to edit the robots.txt file-- see the help doc for the robot.txt feature for more info. No need for scripting or webdav access. :)

However, that said, Kate isn't wanting Google to not index her site, she's just wants her network to not be found in a search for networks on Ning's site. There's a huge distinction between the two. ;-)
Nice one

RSS

What's Up With Ning 3.0?

Click here to share your thoughts on what features we should develop next! - Survey will close Friday, 4/25

Projects that the Ning 3.0 Team is currently working on: 

Articles - a new way of organizing longer content pieces. Released 4/16.

Activity Feed Updates - options for more content in the activity feed.

Forum Notifications - ability for members to opt into receiving notifications of new discussions in forums. Released 4/9. 

APIs - The ability to create new members and content programatically.

For more information on what's next, visit the Product Roadmap

Latest Activity

Jelena replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Same as SE. That would be a problem with the Trademark name.."
1 hour ago
soaringeagle replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"same on all sites its a bug"
1 hour ago
Jelena replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Hi Riccardo I see no navegation on your network"
1 hour ago
Aaron replied to Rainer Glaap's discussion 'Heartbleed, MITM - Security Issues'
"Thanks for bringing this up! As Rainer mentioned, Ning.com wasn't vulnerable to the Heartbleed…"
2 hours ago
Khatlen Guse replied to Stig Karlsen's discussion 'Problems with Facebook activity feed'
"Hi Stig! My feed its ok now! :) I hope that your is ok too."
2 hours ago
soaringeagle replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"id use that but to be safe make sure theres no copywrite on the pentaprism and if there is it…"
2 hours ago
Riccardo Rossini replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"I know very well SE, I ensure you that it was a sort of gratitude for the new platform for us. I…"
2 hours ago
Riccardo Rossini replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Phil. I take the occasion just to ask you if you took alook at this, for me ot could be e very good…"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Ning.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service