I rarely complain about having to decline spammer accounts on Ning Networks. It is what it is. But wow, this is crazy. I can barely keep up with this new influx of spammer accounts applying for Ning Networks. I receive at least 2 every hour from several Networks. They all have something about Hairstyle Promos. Anyone else?
Ning, anything we can do about this?
Indeed, I have had to reject 5 or 6 Hairstyle accounts in the past 48 hrs. They all seem to use gmail and use periods in the email name, so be vigilant about that. If you have any doubts about someone, reject.
I have noticed that when my membership and search traffic is up....so are the spammers. I have been declining these accounts. Any defense against this?
We received over 100 new members in the past week, from adword advertising on competitors site. Seems the spammers notice activity on the site so they start spamming...I don't waste time to banned them.
Same here. First became aware of it at J's discussion, but they hadn't hit me until tonight. This is the second one to try and join my network this evening:
Name: Many People Us Depression Medica
This is the most annoying thing about my network. Constantly deleting these spammers, and having to explain to my members that they are still secure. A REAL PAIN. Ugh. So sick of it.
I've had three attempts today from someone with 'depression' in the name, poem depression etc. I declined them all but the last one, then I let them in but immediately suspended them for spam...
Two more tried again last night/early morning.
Yeah...I banned about 10+
We need a feature where new members can't post links until they established themselves on the network.
Thanks Everyone! Really appreciate your input on this discussion. I think it's very helpful to Ning, for us to report this sort of common denominator.
Thanks again for taking the time to weigh in,
Yes my site has been hit with the following signup spam:
I am no SEO wiz but these seem to be robotic/automated generated. There are dots inbetween letters and each signup has one (different) random word throughout.
1. Does anyone know if these spammers are creating backlinks to my site? If so this is very serious indeed. Google have recently begun a major campaign to close down any sites that have dubious backlinks and I am very concerned that if enough spam backlinks are created this will affect my site and could even blacklist my site if Google interpret these as threatening. I think this means that my site will be deleted from their search engine. I also note that the email links are all gmail accounts. I have been reading about Google's recent Penguin shakeup and their launch of the disavow tool (found in webmaster tools) for placing this sort of spam. However I have heard rightly or wrongly that informing Google about this alerts Google that ones site is at possible risk and they could blackban you.
Can someone please assist by answering the following:
1. I have chosen to 'decline'membership when being sent this rather than 'suspend for spam' as the message is deleted and the sender is not notified. Is this the best course on my part?
2. Am I correct in assuming that the spammer is creating a backlink to my site?
3. Will a number of these spam signups affect my status with Google?
3.. What is the best course of action?
4. Can Ning do anything in this particular case as these appear to be affecting/targetting many Ning sites?
I would be grateful for some advice and answers to my questions above asap. I think this may have ramifications for everyone that has a ning site.