"TIP" Creating a CSS stylesheet for your network, CSS cleanup design studio, NC custom code box, ad box,

You can take all your CSS codes from your design studio,
NC custom code box and your ad boxes and put them on a
stylesheet. This will speed up your network and make more
room in your code box's.

(Creating your stylesheet)

remember to remove all tags from your CSS codes before adding it to a stylesheet

example remove all tags like this /*end hide modules*/ also remove any style Tags <style> & </style> from any CSS code you got from your NC custom code box, ad box or your design studio advanced CSS..

Just create a new text document on your desktop
and then copy all your CSS codes to the text document
and save. change the file extension of the text document from
.txt to .css

To change the file extension go to your "control panel" double click on the "folder options" icon. the folder options box will pop up select the "view tab" then look down the list until you find The line that says "hide extensions of known file types" uncheck that box press apply then okay. The document that you created now shows the file extension .txt at the end of the name of the document. now you can change the .txt to .css

then upload the stylesheet to your
network and replace the link (http://your_new_stylesheet.css) in this code below with
the new link you just created.

(Uploading the stylesheet)
if you have a file manager just upload it with that.
if not just create a new page without saving
press the attachment button and upload the stylesheet
when the upload completes highlight and copy the link
and paste it over the link (http://your_new_stylesheet.css) in the code below then hit
ok then cancel the new page.

(Placing the code on your network)
place the stylesheet code in
your NC custom code box or in any ad box.

CODE
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://your_new_stylesheet.css" />

Stylesheet limitations
a stylesheet can not be larger than 288kb

NO JavaScript and NO HTML.
Internet Explorer 6 to 9 can only handle 31 stylesheets

most any other browser can handle 4095 or more.

Tags: CSS, GEOCOM, ad, box, cleanup, code, custom, design, studio, stylesheet

Views: 763

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you can overwrite the codes in the older stylesheet with the new stylesheet or CSS codes as long as you put it underneath the previous stylesheets. The stylesheets on your network are in the ad box In the footer..

You should always keep a copy of the stylesheet as a backup and/or so you can modify it and re-upload.

Hi George! I created a new stylesheet to remove the code from my advanced css box but when I added it to the ad box in teh footer we have setup its not showing any of the old CSS?? Do you have any suggestions? I mean ultimately I like the netork back toteh somewhat "default" look LOL but there are things in the latest activity like Chloe post it note css and the status magnify on hover I didnt want to remove. The rest of the network can stay the way it is I dont need hover effects on photos and videos anymore as users dont really "appreciate" the great css effects on those things for whatever reasons lol But I do want to know what I am doing wrong so I'll look for Chloes old code and the status magnify code but can you take a look at what I added to the footer in the stylesheet and point out what I may have done wrong?

I'll be heading to your network shortly :-)

I try my 1st stylesheet but nothing happen :(  i would try again :)

I'm sure you can figure it out but if you need my help just let me know I would be more than happy to help. :-) You have a great day Jelena

Hi Jelena

George taught me very well how to implement the stylesheet on my old network and its been a blessing to know, so I will share with you how!

1) Open up "textpad" from your computer or any other wordpad like program where you can add your CSS code to

2) add all of the CSS code you wish to use in your stylesheet to the textpad and be sure its only the CSS code NO JAVASCRIPT AND NO HTML as George mentions above.

3) Now that you have all of your CSS in your new textpad file, click "save as" and change the file extension type to "css". What this means is your saved file should look something like this "jelenafile.css" (side note from George- To change the file extension go to your "control panel" double click on the "folder options" icon. the folder options box will pop up select the "view tab" then look down the list until you find The line that says "hide extensions of known file types" uncheck that box press apply then okay. The document that you created now shows the file extension .txt at the end of the name of the document. now you can change the .txt to .css)

4)now that you've properly changed your file extension and saved your file, you're ready to upload the file on your network!

5) Go to your Dashboard, and click "file manager" once you're there click the icon to upload your new css file.

6) Now that your file is uploaded on your network, click the "copy link" button next to the file you just uploaded and copy the address you see inside the box and head to your "custom code" area.

7) As George points out above, from here its pretty simple. You're going to wrap the address you copied from the file manager within this bit of code:

the address you copied should go where it states "your_new_stylesheet" just be sure to remove http://your_new_stylesheet.css and replace with the address of your new css file that you copied from the file manager.

8) Once you have your file within the code you're ready to paste in the custom code box, drop the code inside the box and click "save"

9) Go to where you expect the css changes to take effect and see how you did!

10) ENJOY YOUR NEW LOOK...YOU JUST CREATED YOUR VERY OWN, VERY FIRST STYLESHEET!

hope this helps. I can assist you further if you still cant get it, just inbox me and I'll see what I can do ;-)

RSS

What's Up With Ning 3.0?

Click here to share your thoughts on what features we should develop next! - Survey will close Friday, 4/25

Projects that the Ning 3.0 Team is currently working on: 

Articles - a new way of organizing longer content pieces. Released 4/16.

Activity Feed Updates - options for more content in the activity feed.

Forum Notifications - ability for members to opt into receiving notifications of new discussions in forums. Released 4/9. 

APIs - The ability to create new members and content programatically.

For more information on what's next, visit the Product Roadmap

Latest Activity

Jelena replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Same as SE. That would be a problem with the Trademark name.."
1 hour ago
soaringeagle replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"same on all sites its a bug"
1 hour ago
Jelena replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Hi Riccardo I see no navegation on your network"
1 hour ago
Aaron replied to Rainer Glaap's discussion 'Heartbleed, MITM - Security Issues'
"Thanks for bringing this up! As Rainer mentioned, Ning.com wasn't vulnerable to the Heartbleed…"
1 hour ago
Khatlen Guse replied to Stig Karlsen's discussion 'Problems with Facebook activity feed'
"Hi Stig! My feed its ok now! :) I hope that your is ok too."
2 hours ago
soaringeagle replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"id use that but to be safe make sure theres no copywrite on the pentaprism and if there is it…"
2 hours ago
Riccardo Rossini replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"I know very well SE, I ensure you that it was a sort of gratitude for the new platform for us. I…"
2 hours ago
Riccardo Rossini replied to Riccardo Rossini's discussion 'Please Ning staff'
"Phil. I take the occasion just to ask you if you took alook at this, for me ot could be e very good…"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Ning.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service