For the last couple of days I have been browsing the discussions here on Ning creators. Just checking in to see if I could help on any that were not solved or maybe add to them if I could.

I noticed many request to move the site activity to it's own page, but I could not find any discussions where someone replied with a solution. So this is what I worked on today.

View live demo:

Instructions:

First, you will need to set your activity module preferences IE... text count, number of items to show and so on, we will be hiding it later with CSS.

**IMPORTANT:

Move the activity module to the right column of your Ning Powered Website. This tip will not work, if the activity module is not in the right hand column. Thank you  Nyein!

Next:

We need to create a new page. You can choose to show this page to everyone or signed in members only. Give the page a title, click the HTML tab in the page editor and paste the code below into the text box area.

<div id="cafp"><h2>TZN Latest Site Activity</h2></div>

Now scroll to the bottom of the page and tick the box that says "Manage title and meta tags manually (advanced)". Now copy the code below and past it in the the custom box area at the bottom of the page.

<style>
.xg_widget_page_page_show .xj_sidebar_content .xg_module_activity {display: none;}
#cafp h2 {font-size:20px;}
#xg_network_activity .xg_module_head {display:none;}
</style>

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.js"></script>

<script>

$(document).ready(function(){

$("#xg_network_activity")
.appendTo("#cafp");

});

</script>

Now click on "Save Page". You will have to refresh the page for it to all start working.

Last Words:

If this does not go off without a hitch, please don't get upset. I may have left something out. Reply below if you need help.

This Tip Last updated on: 4-6-2012

****Thank you  Nyein for this fix. The "Activity Module" must be in placed in the right hand column of your Ning powered website in order for this tip to work.

Updated 4-7-2012 Thank you Dr. Trocar!

This works perfectly. But you MUST not tick the "Use full page width (hide sidebar)"  Again, it will not function when this box is ticked.  Also as mentioned the Activity feed must  be in the uppermost portition of the right column, and directly below the username.  I had problems getting anything to show when I had this ticked.  No wonder, I finally tracked this burger down!  Thanks Anthony, you might want to amend your directions/instructions on this at the beginning of this thread to make sure no one misses this.  I appreciate it, you always have excellent tips. 

Thank you Michael Thompson

This tip only works for me when the activity feed is not only in the right column, but it also has to be in the top colored area so that it shows on all pages. So, the feed still shows on all the pages. 

Tags: activity feed, custom page, move activity feed

Views: 1306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anthony, mine is all set except I need to hide the activity feed on the homepage. How do I hide the homepage feed?

Please try this css code to hide activity feed on main page.

.xg_widget_main .xg_module_activity {display:none!important;}
.xg_widget_main .xg_module_activity .xg_module_head h2 {display:none!important;}

Thanks that worked!

Nyein,

This tip only works for me when the activity feed is not only in the right column, but it also has to be in the top colored area so that it shows on all pages. So, the feed still shows on all the pages. 

Did you have code to hide it on all pages (right column) and still have it appear on my new activity feed page???

When i tried moving the right column feed down to only show on the home page it doesn't show up on my new activity feed page.

Sorry Dr. Trocar, yes I changed that part, after the first update. Now the CSS that hides everything is included in the code that you paste in the custom box area on that page.

Dr. Trocar,

When I first tried this in the right column it did not work for me after several attempts. I moved it up in the right column into the colored area that shows on all pages and then it worked on the separate page. So, if your feed is not at the top either, try moving it up to see if it works for you.

Very nice idea...I have used dynamic menu to show Latest activity differently. 

Live Preview

very nice bernard..how did you do that

Hi Solo,

You can learn it from here

@Bernard thanks,,followed your links allreay,and have been playing with it,,how and were do i add the script,that is wht is confusing me

that is very nice Bernard

You just won yourself the Nobel Ning Prize!
Great tip!! I mean Epic tip!!

RSS

What's Up With Ning 3.0?

Click here to share your thoughts on what features we should develop next! - Survey will close Friday, 4/25

Projects that the Ning 3.0 Team is currently working on: 

Articles - a new way of organizing longer content pieces. Released 4/16.

Activity Feed Updates - options for more content in the activity feed.

Forum Notifications - ability for members to opt into receiving notifications of new discussions in forums. Released 4/9. 

APIs - The ability to create new members and content programatically.

For more information on what's next, visit the Product Roadmap

Latest Activity

Anam replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Email Notifications for Blogs and Forums'
"No. I don't think I made a ''pretty big misrepresentation'' of what i was…"
1 hour ago
ceri shaw replied to ceri shaw's discussion 'Group Cover CSS?'
"Great!!! Plenty of ideas to play with, thanks again.....now all I have to do is find one…"
4 hours ago
Randy L. Vollett replied to ceri shaw's discussion 'Group Cover CSS?'
"Your welcome. This would look good with your cover. I added a padding so that the text does not…"
4 hours ago
"Background color makes a huuuuuge differenc.....might make it a lighter color though."
5 hours ago
"Once again many thanks....made it bold white 22px times new roman....looks fine now :)"
5 hours ago
"I just noticed you are using the Courier New Font. If you want a background color you can try…"
5 hours ago
".groupHeader-groupName {font-family: 'book antique';font-size: 20px;color: black;}Look at…"
5 hours ago
"Basically I want to enlarge the text on the group cover photos as in the example below in order to…"
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Ning.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service