Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

For the last couple of days I have been browsing the discussions here on Ning creators. Just checking in to see if I could help on any that were not solved or maybe add to them if I could.

I noticed many request to move the site activity to it's own page, but I could not find any discussions where someone replied with a solution. So this is what I worked on today.

View live demo:

Instructions:

First, you will need to set your activity module preferences IE... text count, number of items to show and so on, we will be hiding it later with CSS.

**IMPORTANT:

Move the activity module to the right column of your Ning Powered Website. This tip will not work, if the activity module is not in the right hand column. Thank you  Nyein!

Next:

We need to create a new page. You can choose to show this page to everyone or signed in members only. Give the page a title, click the HTML tab in the page editor and paste the code below into the text box area.

<div id="cafp"><h2>TZN Latest Site Activity</h2></div>

Now scroll to the bottom of the page and tick the box that says "Manage title and meta tags manually (advanced)". Now copy the code below and past it in the the custom box area at the bottom of the page.

<style>
.xg_widget_page_page_show .xj_sidebar_content .xg_module_activity {display: none;}
#cafp h2 {font-size:20px;}
#xg_network_activity .xg_module_head {display:none;}
</style>

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.js"></script>

<script>

$(document).ready(function(){

$("#xg_network_activity")
.appendTo("#cafp");

});

</script>

Now click on "Save Page". You will have to refresh the page for it to all start working.

Last Words:

If this does not go off without a hitch, please don't get upset. I may have left something out. Reply below if you need help.

This Tip Last updated on: 4-6-2012

****Thank you  Nyein for this fix. The "Activity Module" must be in placed in the right hand column of your Ning powered website in order for this tip to work.

Updated 4-7-2012 Thank you Dr. Trocar!

This works perfectly. But you MUST not tick the "Use full page width (hide sidebar)"  Again, it will not function when this box is ticked.  Also as mentioned the Activity feed must  be in the uppermost portition of the right column, and directly below the username.  I had problems getting anything to show when I had this ticked.  No wonder, I finally tracked this burger down!  Thanks Anthony, you might want to amend your directions/instructions on this at the beginning of this thread to make sure no one misses this.  I appreciate it, you always have excellent tips. 

Thank you Michael Thompson

This tip only works for me when the activity feed is not only in the right column, but it also has to be in the top colored area so that it shows on all pages. So, the feed still shows on all the pages. 

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This wonderful
    You are creative, my friend
    Waiting for more of this creativity

• Thank you. Very happy to hear you like it.

• Certainly

• Did you click the HTML tab before you pasted the HTML?

• If after you save, it shows the raw HTML on the page, means you did not paste in the HTML editor of the page. It is possible that when you created the new page, the HTML editor was already selected as a default setting and when you clicked the HTML button, you activated the visual mode.

• My friend and I tried this but did not work?

• Did you refresh the page after save?

• Yes do I update

• I have updated this discussion, please follow the new instructions.

• No point did not show something ^ ^

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Adrian Flitcroft replied to PeruCool's discussion Alternatives to Ning social network
"I hear you Thiago, but customisation is a double-edged sword. It can make it difficult to maintain…"
23 minutes ago
Anant Garg replied to Luke Jones's discussion I would recommend Comet chat to anyone :)
"Thank you everyone for your kind words. Would be happy to answer any questions that you might have.…"
2 hours ago
John Bizley replied to Mary Jane Peterson's discussion Fatal error: please help
"Mary I have had that a few times tonight also, it comes up when the page is taking to long to load.…"
11 hours ago
Luke Jones replied to Luke Jones's discussion I would recommend Comet chat to anyone :)
"Ye their awesome :) :) More people should get comet chat, its definitely worth the money :) Ah I'm…"
11 hours ago
Bernadette Arthur replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Killer Tip : How to add seach bar to your ning 3.0 network ?
"So I can see the search bar, as I explained above, but each search yields no result???  
Here's wha…"
11 hours ago
Strumelia replied to Luke Jones's discussion I would recommend Comet chat to anyone :)
"I've chosen Cometchat for my Jamroon network and it seems to be good, and it;s working fine so far.…"
12 hours ago
Bernadette Arthur replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Killer Tip : How to add seach bar to your ning 3.0 network ?
"I was able to get my Google Search bar up.  Thanks!  The magnify glass is not showing though, could…"
12 hours ago
Luke Jones replied to Luke Jones's discussion I would recommend Comet chat to anyone :)
"Ye their good :) , Well their giving me what I want for my website anyway :) , I'm aiming for my si…"
13 hours ago
Kos replied to Luke Jones's discussion I would recommend Comet chat to anyone :)
"I've been with them for a few years now and yes, like them.  The reason Ning isn't big with expandi…"
13 hours ago
Luke Jones replied to Luke Jones's discussion Everyone sign this petition please, pretty please ? :)
"Ye :) there is this creator called Ron, him and his team are doing these updates for ning, they don…"
17 hours ago
Luke Jones replied to Anastasia Grey's discussion Multilanguage Ning Site like this one.
":) , feel free to sign up :P :P (joking aha) "
18 hours ago
George H. Compton IV replied to Anastasia Grey's discussion Multilanguage Ning Site like this one.
"You're welcome Anastasia. You have a great day"
18 hours ago
George H. Compton IV replied to George H. Compton IV's discussion ( TIP "N3.0, N2.0 ) Add Google translate to all pages. Update 2/25/15 v9
"Hello again Lorianne. Yes, that works perfectly for 2.0. The reason I gave the option for mobile is…"
18 hours ago
Anastasia Grey replied to Luke Jones's discussion Everyone sign this petition please, pretty please ? :)
"What about if we join us ( all creator who need this featured ) and hire someone here to get  advan…"
yesterday
Anastasia Grey replied to Anastasia Grey's discussion Multilanguage Ning Site like this one.
"Your Welcome :)"
yesterday
Anastasia Grey replied to Anastasia Grey's discussion Multilanguage Ning Site like this one.
"Thank you George!! "
yesterday
lorianne replied to George H. Compton IV's discussion ( TIP "N3.0, N2.0 ) Add Google translate to all pages. Update 2/25/15 v9
"heres what i used. placed it right after the original code.
<style>DIV#google_translate_element{  …"
yesterday
JFarrow replied to JFarrow's discussion Hack: Real-Time Twitter Hashtag Boards for Any #Term
"thank you Garfield!  Kinda fun when you get the hang of it"
yesterday
Luke Jones replied to Anastasia Grey's discussion Multilanguage Ning Site like this one.
"Thanks for using my site as an example :P "
yesterday
Garfield Archivist replied to JFarrow's discussion Hack: Real-Time Twitter Hashtag Boards for Any #Term
"Nice Job!"
yesterday
More…