Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

For the last couple of days I have been browsing the discussions here on Ning creators. Just checking in to see if I could help on any that were not solved or maybe add to them if I could.

I noticed many request to move the site activity to it's own page, but I could not find any discussions where someone replied with a solution. So this is what I worked on today.

View live demo:

Instructions:

First, you will need to set your activity module preferences IE... text count, number of items to show and so on, we will be hiding it later with CSS.

**IMPORTANT:

Move the activity module to the right column of your Ning Powered Website. This tip will not work, if the activity module is not in the right hand column. Thank you  Nyein!

Next:

We need to create a new page. You can choose to show this page to everyone or signed in members only. Give the page a title, click the HTML tab in the page editor and paste the code below into the text box area.

<div id="cafp"><h2>TZN Latest Site Activity</h2></div>

Now scroll to the bottom of the page and tick the box that says "Manage title and meta tags manually (advanced)". Now copy the code below and past it in the the custom box area at the bottom of the page.

<style>
.xg_widget_page_page_show .xj_sidebar_content .xg_module_activity {display: none;}
#cafp h2 {font-size:20px;}
#xg_network_activity .xg_module_head {display:none;}
</style>

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.js"></script>

<script>

$(document).ready(function(){

$("#xg_network_activity")
.appendTo("#cafp");

});

</script>

Now click on "Save Page". You will have to refresh the page for it to all start working.

Last Words:

If this does not go off without a hitch, please don't get upset. I may have left something out. Reply below if you need help.

This Tip Last updated on: 4-6-2012

****Thank you  Nyein for this fix. The "Activity Module" must be in placed in the right hand column of your Ning powered website in order for this tip to work.

Updated 4-7-2012 Thank you Dr. Trocar!

This works perfectly. But you MUST not tick the "Use full page width (hide sidebar)"  Again, it will not function when this box is ticked.  Also as mentioned the Activity feed must  be in the uppermost portition of the right column, and directly below the username.  I had problems getting anything to show when I had this ticked.  No wonder, I finally tracked this burger down!  Thanks Anthony, you might want to amend your directions/instructions on this at the beginning of this thread to make sure no one misses this.  I appreciate it, you always have excellent tips. 

Thank you Michael Thompson

This tip only works for me when the activity feed is not only in the right column, but it also has to be in the top colored area so that it shows on all pages. So, the feed still shows on all the pages. 

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This wonderful
    You are creative, my friend
    Waiting for more of this creativity

• Thank you. Very happy to hear you like it.

• Certainly

• Did you click the HTML tab before you pasted the HTML?

• If after you save, it shows the raw HTML on the page, means you did not paste in the HTML editor of the page. It is possible that when you created the new page, the HTML editor was already selected as a default setting and when you clicked the HTML button, you activated the visual mode.

• My friend and I tried this but did not work?

• Did you refresh the page after save?

• Yes do I update

• I have updated this discussion, please follow the new instructions.

• No point did not show something ^ ^

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Pierre Lannoy replied to John McDonald's discussion INTRODUCING NING 3.0: THE RE-IMAGINING OF OUR PRODUCT
"Hi all!
I do not understand what you have expected. Since the first communication on Ning 3, which…"
15 minutes ago
mark replied to John McDonald's discussion INTRODUCING NING 3.0: THE RE-IMAGINING OF OUR PRODUCT
"The lack of an update here is so unprofessional and clearly demonstrates the lack of support for th…"
1 hour ago
Jelena replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
"Good stuff Strumelia"
2 hours ago
Jen replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
"Hi Donna, Good point. Honestly, I don't know. But I'd hoped since Phil has so many connections in t…"
3 hours ago
Donna Mac replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
""
4 hours ago
Elson Tan replied to John McDonald's discussion INTRODUCING NING 3.0: THE RE-IMAGINING OF OUR PRODUCT
"great to hear that"
4 hours ago
Donna Mac replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
"Yes I saw the same profile but notice, it also says "previous" companies, Glam Media and NING.  My…"
4 hours ago
Jen replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
"Donna, the LinkedIn Profile I looked at, clearly indicated Phil is still with Ning - - but who's to…"
4 hours ago
Strumelia replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
"I remember years ago when Adobe bought/tookover Macromedia... basically in order to get the ownersh…"
4 hours ago
doone replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
"That is a good sign that  he is no longer with Ning/Glam/Mode Media.  I wonder why Ning was even bo…"
5 hours ago
"I hate to rain on everyone's parade but Phil's profile on linkedin indicates his "previous" employe…"
5 hours ago
Julian Hughes replied to John McDonald's discussion INTRODUCING NING 3.0: THE RE-IMAGINING OF OUR PRODUCT
"Its the end of Ning as we know it....its the end of Ning as we know it...and I FEEL FINE! To sum al…"
5 hours ago
"He's been Product Manager for years. But the fact his title was changed a little, and he's still wi…"
5 hours ago
doone replied to Tim Atkinson's discussion My letter to Bernard Desarnauts, SVP & GM, Ning
"The information about Phil and his role is heartening at least.   Thanks for sharing, Jen."
6 hours ago
"Good move. All I have to see is that Phil is now the "Head of Product" for Ning. This gives me a lo…"
6 hours ago
Strumelia replied to Allison Leahy's discussion What are you most excited about?
"Steve, I see your point of view.  Here is just one possible other view of many, and is only one pos…"
6 hours ago
steve replied to Allison Leahy's discussion What are you most excited about?
"I do get it, but then its just a case that we are dealing with a very confusing situation.
Accordin…"
7 hours ago
Strumelia replied to Allison Leahy's discussion What are you most excited about?
"Goodness. Are you being humorous, I hope?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding? 
SP, I will certainly give y…"
8 hours ago
Garfield Creator replied to John McDonald's discussion INTRODUCING NING 3.0: THE RE-IMAGINING OF OUR PRODUCT
"500k actually. That's a lot of people. What a shame and there are new twilight shorts planned."
8 hours ago
SweetPotato replied to Allison Leahy's discussion What are you most excited about?
"Well my plugin will cater for that too, not that I expect any thanks from you :-)"
8 hours ago
More…