Hi,

I just get the news of Yahoo!'s new Digital Publish System (DPS). Anyone know what's is it exactly? I think it's a little similar with the paid accesses of NING.

And I think Yahoo! can do it better. They have resources.

So I worry about NING, do we need one key feature that's not follow the others?

We are creators, we should create the futures/features we want!! Don't always follow the step of other people.

Tags: dps, iyoume, paid accesses, yahoo

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't worry about Ning.  Yahoo has been old news for years.  Groups change their TOS every other week and are a joke.  The only reason Yahoo is still relevant is their instant messenger and that is only because it was around so long and better than AOL.

Besides an awesome platform, Ning's service beats ANY software that I have used...hands down.  Creators has almost 17,000 POSTS.  Most are simple questions, fixes, mods...etc.  The software I use, for example, has 16,000 THREADS (Not posts) of just bugs and broken software of things that should work but don't and most go unanswered or unresolved.  That is just for the latest version.  Software companies tend to forget about previous versions that are still broken.  Oh, if you modified your site, in any way or paid for expensive mods then good luck updating.  You have to contact each author of that mod and hope they have a new version or are even still in business.

I am new here and most of the complaints I read about are specific features wanted.  In the real world, to get the exact features you want, you go buy buggy software, a server and modify the script how you want.  Of course, if you are not an expert, you hire one and they are not only expensive but can be very unreliable. 

Most sites won't know how bad their script really is until you get traffic and by then it is too late.  Ning has a lot of sites with over 30,000 members.  It has proven it can go past the 100,000 mark with ease.  Many of you will never feel the sinking feeling when your phone's email goes off saying that your server is down, your script is looping or SQL errors.  If you try to contact the vendor, expect to wait a few days or weeks for a response. 

Or, you can go the easy way and use Ning.  You just have to make it work for you.  In the 2 months I have been here, there have been a LOT of updates.  Paid access was the one I was waiting for so I jumped in.  No, I don't have the freedom I do with a custom script but I also don't have the headaches, performance issues nor the expense...$60 + $20 (paid access) is a bargain for a website for all these features. 

Anyway, most people have no idea how good they have it here... 

Yes, I've talked with the PR of Yahoo! The new DPS is just for Yahoo! use only. It's their cloud global news system.

Sorry for this misunderstanding.

Well, we asking for the new features because we care about NING, just like your mon or da ask you to be better. And we contribute many ideas and feedback as well.

Absolutely!  It is awesome how things come about when asked for here and are implemented.  Before I wrote that, I was looking at the new version of a different software I use and reading the forums.  It was just horrible to read what people are going through.  One guy spent $2000 in mods and 1/2 won't work with the upgrade but he needs the upgrade to fix all his bugs...

LOL, I look forward to reading the forums here!

RSS

What's Up With Ning 3.0?

Click here to share your thoughts on what features we should develop next! - Survey will close Friday, 4/25

Projects that the Ning 3.0 Team is currently working on: 

Articles - a new way of organizing longer content pieces. Released 4/16.

Activity Feed Updates - options for more content in the activity feed.

Forum Notifications - ability for members to opt into receiving notifications of new discussions in forums. Released 4/9. 

APIs - The ability to create new members and content programatically.

For more information on what's next, visit the Product Roadmap

Latest Activity

Skye replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Email Notifications for Blogs and Forums'
"I do appreciate your input on this SE  but it seems you are basically saying those of us that…"
17 minutes ago
György Juhász replied to György Juhász's discussion 'Language editor issues'
"I wanted to translate the whole site. But I stopped at 80%, because I realised that the rest of the…"
21 minutes ago
soaringeagle replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Email Notifications for Blogs and Forums'
"suz go to anylitics track where exactly your decline in trafic began theres a tool ..i need to find…"
28 minutes ago
"No warning if there is new text to translate As Ning 3.0 is developed and new features are rolled…"
46 minutes ago
Suzie Nielsen replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Email Notifications for Blogs and Forums'
"Thanks Crystal,  The ScreenShot is Nings Home page for 3.0 networks --- but I do I apologize…"
49 minutes ago
"Your translation will never reach 100% If your original and translated expresssions are the same,…"
59 minutes ago
Skye replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Email Notifications for Blogs and Forums'
"Crystal I like this thank you. http://www.addthis.com/"
1 hour ago

NC for Hire
Jen replied to Phil McCluskey's discussion 'Introducing Articles and the Author Bio Box'
"Nice module, will have to come up with nice implementation for this."
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Ning.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service