Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

last week i posted a tip that zooms the main page forum and blog posts when you hover over it well i tweaked it a tad  increasing the zoom by 5% and added a transparency as it zooms as well as added a z-index so the profile icon below it doesn't float over it

the live demo can be seen here

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/main/

the code;

.xg_widget_main .module_blog .blogpost:hover,.xg_widget_main .module_forum div.vcard div.topic:hover {background-color:#14135E;-webkit-transform:scale(1.25);-moz-transform:scale(1.25);-webkit-transition:all .6s ease-out;-moz-transition:all .6s ease-out;opacity:0.70;z-index:999999;}

adjustments;

ofcourse background color should be adjusted to something that matches youtr theme or delete it to have no background color change

scale is the zoom level 1.25 means 125% or 25% above normal 1.35 would zoom 10% more 1.15 10% less
transition speed .6 is 6/10th of a second just over 1/2 a second to complete the ease out animation you can also add a delay like if you want it to wait 1 second then ease out for 1 second  (but i dont think a delay makes sence for this purpose)

opacity 0.70 is 70% opaque or 30% transparent adjust the 0.70 higher towards 1 to be less opaque or lower  to be more see through i settled on 70 which alowed the elements behind it to be sen without making it too unreadable

i had applied the same effectto the forum posts and replies but it made long posts grow too far since both length and width  increased 25%   a long post could completely cover a shorter reply above and below it

thats why i got inspired to add the transparency so you could at least tell there was something behind it, but it didnt solve the problem so i left it out and id not include code to apply the effect to those posts and replies.

for an even cooler effect

add border radius and box shadow to the hover code above

your forum posts that dont have  the border radius and box shadow  till hovered will zoom  the corners go from square to round and the shadow  apear as it transitions

edit:

to add  a floating effect that rounds the corners adds a shadow and zooms all in 1 motion try this code

.xg_widget_main .module_blog .blogpost:hover,.xg_widget_main .module_forum div.vcard div.topic:hover {border:1px solid #ccc;border-radius:50px;-moz-border-radius:50px;-webkit-border-radius:50px;-webkit-box-shadow:6px 6px 10px #ccc;-moz-box-shadow:6px 6px 10px #ccc;box-shadow:6px 6px 10px #ccc;width:535px;-ms-filter:"progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(Strength=4, Direction=135, Color='#000000')";filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(Strength=4,Direction=135,Color='#000000');-webkit-transform:scale(1.25);-moz-transform:scale(1.25);-webkit-transition:all .6s ease-out;-moz-transition:all .6s ease-out;
z-index:999999;background-color:#fff;padding:1em;}

notes i added a white background u can change that  without the background it acts like theres no background and you see everything behind it

i also added padding to keep the text from extending outside the now rounded borders

that effect can be seen on my new site www.phillyhangout.com

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thats why i didnt use it there  but  thats a function of z-index

z-index moves it forward or bactwards in the stacking order the higher the number the more forward some divs may have a very high z-index to make it topmost  just experiment with setting that higher

you may also need to add a position; (relative fixed or absolute)

• Looks good SoaringEagle.

• thnx  the morphing borders effect if you add thats pretty cool  it unintentionaly was added to many members pages  in the menu so subtabs morph from rectangle to rounded as they slide out..its pretty cool  and adding it to the main page posts would be pretty unique

i already had rounded corners and shading so left it as is

• @alexander could you please tell me how you did it for the latest activity..thanks

• hey soaringeagle how is the script written for late activity..having problem doing this thanks

• try

div.feed-story:hover as the selector

if that dont work let me know

• Hey eagle where do i place it at in the code..do i just change the part that says..div.vcard div.topic:hover ...?

• div.feed-story:hover {background-color:#14135E;-webkit-transform:scale(1.25);-moz-transform:scale(1.25);-webkit-transition:all .6s ease-out;-moz-transition:all .6s ease-out;opacity:0.70;z-index:999999;}

• SWEEEET,Thanks so much

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Strumelia replied to Emer Dareloth's discussion Ning 2.0: Adding Two "Groups" Sections?
"Emer, Ning 3.0 can do that, Ning 2.0 cannot.  as a workaround, you could possibly have two text box…"
30 minutes ago
Edie2k2 replied to Gerry Emery's discussion I'd like to see an example or two of the new NIng 3.0 websites
"Beautiful site. Bravo Steve!"
58 minutes ago
Thiago Santos de Moraes replied to Emer Dareloth's discussion Ning 2.0: Adding Two "Groups" Sections?
"It is not possible."
2 hours ago
The Builder :) replied to Alan's discussion Adding Java Script
"Hi JQueryHelp and Bernard, sorry for taking to answer, I was in a difficult personal situation.

we…"
3 hours ago
JFarrow replied to Dominic Lehane's discussion APP Builder
"I've set up a couple of apps using Como.com  which allows you to do quite a bit with feeds and even…"
3 hours ago
Ning via Facebook

Designing The Perfect Newcomer To Regular Journey Part 5 http://ow.ly/AxqEC

JFarrow replied to JFarrow's discussion Community Compass: Reimagining Getting Started Guides for Online Communities-UPDATED
"Just a quick note to let those of you who are using the Community Compass that I have added a new w…"
8 hours ago
SweetPotato replied to SweetPotato's discussion Simple, Responsive Slider for Ning 3.0
"For anyone who is interested in dynamically loading blog posts into this slider (i.e. no manual upd…"
9 hours ago
Mike Collins replied to Gerry Emery's discussion I'd like to see an example or two of the new NIng 3.0 websites
"Here's ours and after migrating just a couple of weeks ago it's great to see it come to life. There…"
11 hours ago
steve replied to Gerry Emery's discussion I'd like to see an example or two of the new NIng 3.0 websites
"Can see i have a long way to go looking at some of these wonderful sites but im happy with it so fa…"
23 hours ago
JFarrow replied to JFarrow's discussion How to Map Your Members on a Ning Network
"Because this actually happens outside of the actual network, i don't see how they could, Gerry....…"
yesterday
JFarrow commented on Gerry Regan's blog post Seeking provider of alternative to Apps.IO's Listings app. in Hire a Creator
"If you're still looking for help with this, I have a few ideas...ill send you my contact info.."
yesterday
JFarrow left a comment for Natasha Dyer
"Just sent you a message by email...happy to help!"
yesterday
JFarrow replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
"for sure... always inspired by these guys!"
yesterday
Tyler Durbin replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
"TJ has saved my butt a few times!  The guy is a master at what he does and his code always works fl…"
yesterday
Rowald replied to Rowald's discussion Site host name, https://network.com, does not match your SSL certificate Subject Name
"Hi Laura, well.. like Amanda said it's expected behavior on their end. Not sure if there is anythin…"
yesterday
George H. Compton IV replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
""
Sunday
Katie McKay replied to Bernard Lama's discussion Thank you TJ, Jen and other NCs!
"Agree!"
Sunday
George H. Compton IV replied to soaringeagle's discussion mobile traffic reaches new high and no 3.0 completion date in sight
"Hello seoaringeagle :-)  fullwidth responsive Ning 2.0 network. That's what I'm working on right n…"
Sunday
Kos replied to Heather Ales's discussion How to center group images in Group Hub
"Oh cool.  I had worried a/b how it would appear oh phone when it needs to be responsive (had just p…"
Sunday
More…