Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

last week i posted a tip that zooms the main page forum and blog posts when you hover over it well i tweaked it a tad  increasing the zoom by 5% and added a transparency as it zooms as well as added a z-index so the profile icon below it doesn't float over it

the live demo can be seen here

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/main/

the code;

.xg_widget_main .module_blog .blogpost:hover,.xg_widget_main .module_forum div.vcard div.topic:hover {background-color:#14135E;-webkit-transform:scale(1.25);-moz-transform:scale(1.25);-webkit-transition:all .6s ease-out;-moz-transition:all .6s ease-out;opacity:0.70;z-index:999999;}

adjustments;

ofcourse background color should be adjusted to something that matches youtr theme or delete it to have no background color change

scale is the zoom level 1.25 means 125% or 25% above normal 1.35 would zoom 10% more 1.15 10% less
transition speed .6 is 6/10th of a second just over 1/2 a second to complete the ease out animation you can also add a delay like if you want it to wait 1 second then ease out for 1 second  (but i dont think a delay makes sence for this purpose)

opacity 0.70 is 70% opaque or 30% transparent adjust the 0.70 higher towards 1 to be less opaque or lower  to be more see through i settled on 70 which alowed the elements behind it to be sen without making it too unreadable

i had applied the same effectto the forum posts and replies but it made long posts grow too far since both length and width  increased 25%   a long post could completely cover a shorter reply above and below it

thats why i got inspired to add the transparency so you could at least tell there was something behind it, but it didnt solve the problem so i left it out and id not include code to apply the effect to those posts and replies.

for an even cooler effect

add border radius and box shadow to the hover code above

your forum posts that dont have  the border radius and box shadow  till hovered will zoom  the corners go from square to round and the shadow  apear as it transitions

edit:

to add  a floating effect that rounds the corners adds a shadow and zooms all in 1 motion try this code

.xg_widget_main .module_blog .blogpost:hover,.xg_widget_main .module_forum div.vcard div.topic:hover {border:1px solid #ccc;border-radius:50px;-moz-border-radius:50px;-webkit-border-radius:50px;-webkit-box-shadow:6px 6px 10px #ccc;-moz-box-shadow:6px 6px 10px #ccc;box-shadow:6px 6px 10px #ccc;width:535px;-ms-filter:"progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(Strength=4, Direction=135, Color='#000000')";filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(Strength=4,Direction=135,Color='#000000');-webkit-transform:scale(1.25);-moz-transform:scale(1.25);-webkit-transition:all .6s ease-out;-moz-transition:all .6s ease-out;
z-index:999999;background-color:#fff;padding:1em;}

notes i added a white background u can change that  without the background it acts like theres no background and you see everything behind it

i also added padding to keep the text from extending outside the now rounded borders

that effect can be seen on my new site www.phillyhangout.com

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thats why i didnt use it there  but  thats a function of z-index

z-index moves it forward or bactwards in the stacking order the higher the number the more forward some divs may have a very high z-index to make it topmost  just experiment with setting that higher

you may also need to add a position; (relative fixed or absolute)

• Looks good SoaringEagle.

• thnx  the morphing borders effect if you add thats pretty cool  it unintentionaly was added to many members pages  in the menu so subtabs morph from rectangle to rounded as they slide out..its pretty cool  and adding it to the main page posts would be pretty unique

i already had rounded corners and shading so left it as is

• @alexander could you please tell me how you did it for the latest activity..thanks

• hey soaringeagle how is the script written for late activity..having problem doing this thanks

• try

div.feed-story:hover as the selector

if that dont work let me know

• Hey eagle where do i place it at in the code..do i just change the part that says..div.vcard div.topic:hover ...?

• div.feed-story:hover {background-color:#14135E;-webkit-transform:scale(1.25);-moz-transform:scale(1.25);-webkit-transition:all .6s ease-out;-moz-transition:all .6s ease-out;opacity:0.70;z-index:999999;}

• SWEEEET,Thanks so much

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Laura Occhipinti replied to Dominic Lehane's discussion Confirmation Email
"You'll have little control over the spam filters.  I often find that AOL and HOTMAIL will…"
7 minutes ago
Kos replied to Dominic Lehane's discussion Confirmation Email
"This is concerning (imo) because one would think if you lose that initial contact, you may never…"
27 minutes ago
Writer Chick {Diane} replied to Nyein Lwin Oo's discussion Can't cancel ning network
"There are no Ning employees moderating this forum on a regular basis now.  So, you will have…"
45 minutes ago
Writer Chick {Diane} replied to Ning's discussion Update to Product Roadmap and Communication Changes
"Woah.  It's SO REFRESHING to see a positive post about 3.0!  It's wonderful…"
1 hour ago
Anna replied to Ning's discussion Update to Product Roadmap and Communication Changes
"Hello Skye, I would LOVE to hear what the recommended alternatives are. I have a healthy 3.0…"
2 hours ago
Zachary Moonshine favorited Crystal's blog post How to Monetize Your Online Community [Video]
5 hours ago
Rowald replied to Ning's discussion Update to Product Roadmap and Communication Changes
"I am open to any suggestions, would like to move too. What is in your opinion the best alternative…"
5 hours ago
Jason Newey replied to Ning's discussion Update to Product Roadmap and Communication Changes
"Hi CocteauBoy, Could you please recommend an Alternative as I am sick of waiting for Ning. I need…"
5 hours ago
NC for Hire Jen replied to Jen's discussion Got Some Great Ideas for Member Gifts, Member Awards, or Contests?
"Hi Strumelia, Very nice! I hope everyone enjoys the contest. Thanks for sharing this. =)"
8 hours ago
Strumelia replied to Jen's discussion Got Some Great Ideas for Member Gifts, Member Awards, or Contests?
"Hi Jen, I stumbled upon this older thread, but thought I'd post to show the current contest I…"
12 hours ago
Antonio Ancelmo Matos Santos replied to Ning's discussion Update to Product Roadmap and Communication Changes
"In a month, exited from 1.500 to more than 15.000 team members!!! As creator of Orbati Social…"
12 hours ago
Strumelia replied to Steve C's discussion Alternative to Photo Albums Needed
"Thanks TJ.    And isn't it you who provided the scrollbars I use on my Forum…"
12 hours ago
TJ @ jQueryHelp replied to Steve C's discussion Alternative to Photo Albums Needed
"Hi Strumelia, Thanks for the excellent question!  I've given some thought to how I would…"
12 hours ago
John Bizley replied to John Bizley's discussion How to get your Network Logo AND Your Network Name Both Showing Up ( Updated )
"Just added an additional tip to get the network name above the content and have your network logo…"
14 hours ago
George H. Compton IV replied to George H. Compton IV's discussion TIP Ning 3.0 & 2.0 timed Full screen overlay .. Update logged in divide delay fix.
"Update logged in divide delay fix.  If you're already using this tip just add the update…"
15 hours ago
Skye replied to Ning's discussion Update to Product Roadmap and Communication Changes
"+1"
15 hours ago
John Bizley replied to John Bizley's discussion How to get your Network Logo AND Your Network Name Both Showing Up ( Updated )
"Now updated this for both types of menu. The top code is for those with the menu at the top and the…"
15 hours ago
John Bizley replied to Lea Scott's discussion How do I stop the modules from expanding so much on some things. Is there a way?
"Your latest activity feed can be shortened like this, the line gets added into your css theme…"
15 hours ago
Zachary Moonshine replied to Mary Jane Peterson's discussion CometChat
"i plan on doing that but the chat i have now (addonchat) is paid for till september at that time i…"
15 hours ago
Simon Farnworth replied to Kos's discussion Forum tabs have DISAPPEARED!
"That the same message, verbatim, I got when I asked!"
17 hours ago