Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

301 Redirect to Subdomain

Does anyone know the best way to redirect our mysite.ning to a subdomain (community.). I already have a domain/website called newsite.com. I need to point mysite.ning.com so that it points to community.newsite.com. 

Currently I have www.surfershot.ning pointing to www.surfer-shot.com (notice the dash). Then I have the site meshed with another (non-ning) site called www.surfershot.com (notice no dash). Instead, I want to make my ning site point to a subdomain (community.) so that it will be www.community.surfershot.com

Also would there be any SEO altercations? 

FYI, it's a N2 site if that makes any difference. 

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NC for Hire

well, both www and community would be subdomains so www.community.surfershot.com may not work...haven't seen too many double subdomains before..  if I were you I would move everything to cloudflare and manage the DNS there..plus you get a free SSL certificate... ill think on this some more

• Oh, I didn't realize that www is actually considered subdomain. I've got no problem dropping the www and just go for community instead. Is what I want to do still possible then?

• I beleive I may have this figured out. Dashboard > Tools > Domain Mapping. Then in the text box for Alternet Domain 1 I write over the top of "surfer-shot.com" with "community.surfershot.com". 

Then go over to my domain host for surfershot.com (Godaddy) DNS panel and create an A record with the Name "community" and point it to Nings IP address. 

I haven't pull the plug yet. I'm hoping Ning will chime in on this and also tell me were I would find Nings IP address. 

• I have figured this out and created a new thread for it over at: https://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/301-redirect-ning-to-subdoma...

301 Redirect .ning to Subdomain and Keep SEO
    In this example I will be using "community" as the subdomain. This will also carry over all your SEO and continue useing second-level domain and subd…
This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
7 hours ago
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
7 hours ago
Aase Lillian updated their profile
8 hours ago
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
8 hours ago
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to ⚡JFarrow⌁'s discussion