Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Hi there!

I guess you all aware about the last news regarding the facebook and data leak. Because of that, they are making the usage of the API more strict, that is why please check the updated instructions how the Facebook login APP should be created:

1. Please follow this link to Facebook
  2. Please press "+Add New app" at the top right corner of the screen
  3. On the next screen, you should choose the name of the app, for example, you can use your network's name or something else, it doesn't matter just depends on what name would be more convenient for you in order to manage another app you have, and don't forget to enter contact email address, and press "Create App id"
  4. After you have filled the captcha on the left side of the screen you will see the menu. Please press "Settings" button.
  5. On the next screen you will see the settings of your app, however, you should take a look at the left side of the screen once again and press "Advanced". It would be located just under the "Settings" button that you have found in the previous step
  6. When the advanced settings would be opened please scroll down the page a little and find "Allow API Access to App Settings" and turn it on (there is the trigger just to the left from that text please click on it once to turn on). Please don't forget to save changes as well.
  7. Then please take a look at the menu on the left side of the screen and press "+Add product"
  8. On the next screen, please choose Facebook Login, and then press "www"
  9. In the field which is called "Site URL" please enter the following link (https://YourSubDomain.networkauth.com). And click "Save".
  10. Then please take a look at the menu on the left side of the page, end just under "Facebook Login" you will see the button "Settings". Please press it.
  11. On the screen that would be opened, please enter the same link mentioned in step 9 into the field called "Valid OAuth redirect URIs". Also using the link mentioned in step 9 as the base please add to it /connect_start (the result will look like this https://YourSubDomain.networkauth.com/facebook/connect_start or something similar), and add to the "Valid OAuth redirect URIs" as well. Then add to the base /facebook/callback (the result will look like this https://YourSubDomain.networkauth.com/facebook/callback) and add to the "Valid OAuth redirect URIs".
  12. Please press "Settings" button, in the left menu and click "Basic" from the drop-down which will appear under "Settings" button you have just pressed.
  13. Please paste into the field "App Domains" the URL provided in step 9, and insert the link to your terms and conditions and the privacy policy into the appropriate fields. Those links could be obtained on teh network just follow the link in the footer of the page or change the following link https://YourSubDomain.ning.com/main/authorization/termsOfService so it would correspond to the subdomain you have registered with us. Since teh privacy policy is optional and if you haven't created one you can paste the link to the terms and conditions into the "Privacy Policy URL" field.
  14. Your app is almost ready, please choose "App review" from the menu on the left side of the screen and make your app public by switching on the trigger "Make name of the app public?" where "name of the app" is the name that you have chosen for your app.
  15. The list of items would appear and just under it, you will see the conditions that your app should fulfill in order to be submitted for the review. Click "settings" link there and upload the icon of your app, and just under the icon choose the "Business Use"
  16. Now your app is ready, please go to the Settings -> Basic on Facebook and you will see app id and secret you need.
  17. Please enter App id and app secret, and save the changes.
  18. The only thing left is to wait until Facebook will approve your app, and after the users will be able to use it. (this paragraph is not relevant anymore, it's related to the apps created before teh changes we have made recently on 2018-07-12)

Hope these instructions would, help.

Best wishes,

Ning team.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for replying Anastasia!

• Hi Anastasia, any update?

Thanks,

Gavin

• A month! No fix! No update! No progress?? 25% of my users cannot log in! I must have a fix, or I am going to disable FB on my site and begin the transition. Please provide something, and soon, I have been MORE than patient!!! Put yourself in my shoes - would you put up with a quarter of your users not being able to log in to the Creators site?!?! C'mon Ning!!!

• Hi there!

We do apologize for the delay. Unfortunately, the changes should have been tested first on the test environment, and the tests have just been finished. Today the fix should be released on live servers, and if there would be no issues the change won't be reversed and the Facebook sign in would work.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

• Update.

The changes have been made and everything is stable right now. Also, I have updated the instructions in accordance with the changes made by the developers.

Bets regards,

Ning team.

• Thank you. I will report back what I find >

• Hi Kyryl,

Thanks for your explanations. I followed all the steps, and successfully created a new app. Adding it to our network also works, but after testing it by creating a new profile through the facebook app, I decided to put the old app id and secret back into place again - because of the following. Can you please help out as soon as possible because of the short time we have left (and I have a vacation planned next week), to set the new app up properly in such way our customers do not have to experience anything of the changes?

1. The e-mail address coupled to the facebook account does not show up yet, I had to fill it in myself. Can I assume this is one of the items that Facebook will review (the 'approval' as you mention in step 18), and that after approval peoples e-mail addresses will automatically be copied in their new profile on our network?
    2. I read on a Facebookpage that reviews of Facebook apps usually take about a week, sometimes less. But in peak periods (like right now with several changes in facebook apps recently, they say on the site) this can be longer - eg. several weeks. If this would be the case, this would mean I would have to add the new app before august 1st to not risk the old app might stop functioning by loosing API access. This would mean that new people signing up through the new app have to manually add their e-mail address, since there is no approval for this yet from facebook in this scenario. My question is: does this in any way affect members who already signed up for our network in the last years through our previous Facebook app (the one that I put back into place)? Can those members still sign into and use the network through the new app (that is not approved yet) exactly as they can now through the working app?
    3. Will the e-mail addresses of the members described in the last part of question 2, not be lost in our network in case of the scenario I just described?
    4. When signing up to our network through the facebook app (both the current and new apps), members are still asked to add a profile picture (those are 'required' in our network). While the picture is one of the things that I would like new members to be able to automatically add through the facebook app so they do not have to upload it again. Can this be set up, such that the profile picture automatically shows up and members get a question if they want to use that, or change it for another picture?

Hope to hear soon, thanks!

Douwe

• Hi there!

Sorry for the confusion I have missed the last paragraph and have forgotten to change it. 

We have removed from the app all the items that should have had teh approval from teh side of the Facebook. The reason why - since each network has the ability to change the profile questions and remove some which are not required there is a chance that our app would be requesting teh item which hasn't been used during teh registration. As the item isn't used it would be impossible to prove to teh facebook that it's required and teh app should be approved.

If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask :-)

Best wishes,

Ning Team.

• Hi Kyryl,

Thanks for your quick reply. I think I get what you mean. Can you answer the questions below? Thanks alot!

Douwe

1. Does changing from the app we currently use to the new one I created by following your steps yesterday, in any way affect members who already signed up for our network in the last years through the Facebook app we currently use? Can those members still sign into our network through the new app, even though some information that was previously retrieved through facebook, will not be retrieved any longer?
        2. And can those members keep using the network exactly as they can now through the current app, when the new app will be in place?
        3. Will the e-mail addresses of those members, not be lost in our network after switching apps? Can our administrators still access those addresses?
        4. Will there be information that was retrieved through the facebook app up until the new app, which will not be asked from facebook any longer, that will disappear on any places on our network - after switching apps?
        5. Can you specify which features were asked from facebook before in the current app, and which items are asked for Facebook to provide to Ning in the new app?
        6. When signing up to our network through the facebook app (both the current and new apps), members are still asked to add a profile picture. While the picture is one of the things that I would like new members to be able to automatically add through the facebook app so they do not have to upload it again. The profile picture is information Facebook does not have to approve, it is approved automatically, I understood. Can Ning set this up, such that the profile picture automatically shows up on the page with profile questions? And that the new members get a question with it, asking if they want to use that, or change it for another picture?

• Hi there!

1. If you create the new app, in such case members wouldn't be able to log in using their Facebook accounts with the new app. It would be necessary to reattach the facebook profile to the profile on the network itself. In order to perform those actions, it's necessary to login and opens the conditions tab in the settings of the profile.

2. Yes, if they have connected their Facebook profile to the new app through the settings under the profile on the network.

3. The profiles on the networks are not removed if the app they were using for sign-in has been removed 

4. No

5. public_profile, user_age_range, user_location, user_gender, user_birthday - items requested before the change. Right now we request public_profile only.

6. The picture is added automatically from the facebook profile, the users can add the other one if they wish that is how it's working at the moment. As far as I have understood you wish to change this flow to be more user-friendly, and if they decide to make those changes I'll let you know.

Best regards,

Ning Team

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…