Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Hi there!

I guess you all aware about the last news regarding the facebook and data leak. Because of that, they are making the usage of the API more strict, that is why please check the updated instructions how the Facebook login APP should be created:

1. Please follow this link to Facebook
  2. Please press "+Add New app" at the top right corner of the screen
  3. On the next screen, you should choose the name of the app, for example, you can use your network's name or something else, it doesn't matter just depends on what name would be more convenient for you in order to manage another app you have, and don't forget to enter contact email address, and press "Create App id"
  4. After you have filled the captcha on the left side of the screen you will see the menu. Please press "Settings" button.
  5. On the next screen you will see the settings of your app, however, you should take a look at the left side of the screen once again and press "Advanced". It would be located just under the "Settings" button that you have found in the previous step
  6. When the advanced settings would be opened please scroll down the page a little and find "Allow API Access to App Settings" and turn it on (there is the trigger just to the left from that text please click on it once to turn on). Please don't forget to save changes as well.
  7. Then please take a look at the menu on the left side of the screen and press "+Add product"
  8. On the next screen, please choose Facebook Login, and then press "www"
  9. In the field which is called "Site URL" please enter the following link (https://YourSubDomain.networkauth.com). And click "Save".
  10. Then please take a look at the menu on the left side of the page, end just under "Facebook Login" you will see the button "Settings". Please press it.
  11. On the screen that would be opened, please enter the same link mentioned in step 9 into the field called "Valid OAuth redirect URIs". Also using the link mentioned in step 9 as the base please add to it /connect_start (the result will look like this https://YourSubDomain.networkauth.com/facebook/connect_start or something similar), and add to the "Valid OAuth redirect URIs" as well. Then add to the base /facebook/callback (the result will look like this https://YourSubDomain.networkauth.com/facebook/callback) and add to the "Valid OAuth redirect URIs".
  12. Please press "Settings" button, in the left menu and click "Basic" from the drop-down which will appear under "Settings" button you have just pressed.
  13. Please paste into the field "App Domains" the URL provided in step 9, and insert the link to your terms and conditions and the privacy policy into the appropriate fields. Those links could be obtained on teh network just follow the link in the footer of the page or change the following link https://YourSubDomain.ning.com/main/authorization/termsOfService so it would correspond to the subdomain you have registered with us. Since teh privacy policy is optional and if you haven't created one you can paste the link to the terms and conditions into the "Privacy Policy URL" field.
  14. Your app is almost ready, please choose "App review" from the menu on the left side of the screen and make your app public by switching on the trigger "Make name of the app public?" where "name of the app" is the name that you have chosen for your app.
  15. The list of items would appear and just under it, you will see the conditions that your app should fulfill in order to be submitted for the review. Click "settings" link there and upload the icon of your app, and just under the icon choose the "Business Use"
  16. Now your app is ready, please go to the Settings -> Basic on Facebook and you will see app id and secret you need.
  17. Please enter App id and app secret, and save the changes.
  18. The only thing left is to wait until Facebook will approve your app, and after the users will be able to use it. (this paragraph is not relevant anymore, it's related to the apps created before teh changes we have made recently on 2018-07-12)

Hope these instructions would, help.

Best wishes,

Ning team.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Kyryl,

Thanks for your answers. Please help out asap, because after testing several options, it seems that about 100 members of our network will not be able to log in any longer after july 31st - and we have a weekend coming up.

I tested making profiles through our old facebook app and then changed the app to the new version I created to see what would happen exactly after the switch.  I also connected a facebook profile to an existing profile, using our old app since this is the way about 100 of our members currently use our network. In both cases though, I cannot login through the new facebook app. You told me this would happen. But, following your instruction to re-connect the profile to the app, so these users can keep using their profiles, also does not work. Let me explain in detail.

With the new facebook app, I cannot login to the network, to my profile I created through the old facebook app. Not through facebook but also not by entering the e-mail address connected to that facebook account. So I cannot access the profile that has been created to reattach the facebook profile, like you advised. Also creating a new profile through the new facebook app, using the same facebook account I used in the old app, does not attach it to the profile I already created. If I use this last method, I can only create a new profile.

So, please let me know:

1. How members using our network through the old facebook app can keep using the network after switching to the new facebook app;
            2. How can the members concerned be informed about the change and possible steps to take? I cannot find a place where I can see the e-mailadressses of just the members who created profiles through facebook and/or connected their facebookprofile, to inform just those people. We do not want to e-mail all other members who do not use facebook since it just concerns a minority (10%) of all our members.

Thanks a lot!

Douwe

• Hi Kyryl,

I have not taken any action since our last communication about this, and now, seeing Douwe’s latest communication, I am glad I did not, because we would surely face the same issues. I await your response to Douwe before deciding how to proceed.

Gavin

• Hi there! 

Our Customer Care representative has already sent you an email with answers to your questions, but since Gavin is also waiting for the response I will quote his reply here:

1) The application does not request specific info like user link, user gender, birthday etc, so users will be able to log in using the old app if the settings match with those Kyryl shared on creators network.

2) Ning requests info from FB that does not require review, so updating the existing app according to Kyryl's instructions is enough (no need to create a new app, because then old users will not be able to log in). Therefore, all you need to do is to update the existing app.

Best regards,

The NING Team

• Hi Anastasia and thanks for this response. What if I cannot track down who owns the original app?

Gavin

• Hello! 

In this case, unfortunately, the only one way is to create a new app. 

Best regards,

The NING Team

• Thanks Ana, this is the route I want to take. I gather from perusing this thread that people will lose their access if they signed up using the original fb login. Can they re-attach to their old account on our site with the new fb login, and if so, how?

Gavin

• Hello!
                      Sure, if the member who wants to connect to the new app is already logged into your site - just go to "My Profile" page, open "Edit Profile" menu and switch to the "Connections" tab. There will be an option to "Sign in with Facebook". Member will be offered to give permissions to the new app and then redirected back to the network. 

If the member is not logged in it will be necessary to use the default login form (email and password) to access the account and then follow the steps described above. 

If the member has initially registered via Facebook the email should be the same as on the FB account (assuming the member didn't change it afterwards in the profile settings). And the password can be reset via Forgot the password form. 

So, basically, if you know the email address connected to your account (each member can find it in "Edit profile" settings) you will be able to login with default NING sign in form. 

If the member doesn't know the email address, connected to their account, there are two options: contacting the Network Creator or our Customer Support representative since both have access to the list of members with email addresses. But in the case with a Customer Support agent - we might ask to confirm some information on the profile just for the verification purposes (for example the date of birth if this info isn't being displayed on the profile for everyone).

Best regards,

The NING Team

• I tried this but got this error?

62002447?profile=original

• Hello!

Seems like you forgot to publish the app for public use. You need to go to the "App review" menu and make the app LIVE. 

You can also add Kyryl as a developer so he can check the settings of your application. 

In order to do it, please, open the "Roles" tab in the application and click on "Add developers" button http://take.ms/7DHxn and paste fbid 100014908511509

Best regards,

The NING Team

Screenshot "party integration fool - Roles - Facebook for Developers - Google Chrome 2018-01-24 19.…
  • I followed the instructions. After performing step 14, I see the following screen. I do not know what to do next as it does not seem to match your instruction 15, please advise50508534?profile=RESIZE_930x

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

Alina Langley replied to Suzie Nielsen's discussion
Ning 2.0 For Sale
"Do you atill have a NING 2.0 site? I am looking for one, please DM me :)"
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile photo
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile
Apr 12
LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Mar 26
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels