Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

This is becoming a real pain up the bum, custom code is being blocked from running now by Chrome, IE and Firefox. Some code runs and some does not. If you have let's say a page which is viewable to everyone but only members can add to it then custom code on that page does not run, sign in and it runs no problem. It's the same with normal pages as well.

This is causing a lot of problems when trying to design a site as you have to check if it looks the same for non members. I had to resort to using a lot of CSS and not use some code I would have prefered to.

Here is a simple example, all the code is to do is move the byline up to the avatar. Not really intense code just one line. Using Chrome examples but it's the same for the others.

CHROME SIGNED OUT

NOW CHROME SIGNED IN

And here is what is getting added to custom code by the browsers to stop it running

Now not sure whether this has to do with the new security been added by them but it seems that way as it always use to work before.

Anyone else having these issues, or have you not noticed ? Best check your sites to see if they are doing the same thing.

It's a real pain and may just have to resort to keeping all the pages viewable to members only so the code runs and just have one information page for non members to see. Nightmare!

grrr John :-(

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just found a way to get around this, add your code to notepad and save them as js files. Then add them to file manager and link to them in custom code. This seems to bypass the custom code loading issue. Tried it and now the code runs.

• John maybe it has something to do with the code?  idk because I have custom code that puts the photo title above the photo and it's working in both signed in and signed out.

Thinking further, how would our meta and site map even be read if ignored when signed out?  It makes no sense to me (but that's nothing new) but they're in Custom Code in 3.0

• Thanks Kos and yes some code does run as normal but it's certain types that seem to be not. I have started removing bits of code to try and see if it's one of my blocks but I really do not have very much in there at all now. hmm will get to the bottom of it I hope.

May change themes to see if that helps but it will mean a bit of faffing around to get it looking like my site as it is now.

• Hi John,

Could you please send me the code that you are using so we could perform the proper testing?

If you don't wish to share it with everybody you can send it to me via private message.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

• Thanks for the reply Kyryl, I will post it once I just do a little more testing by removing all my custom code and add it back in one block at a time to try and pin point it. Never had any issues before with code being blocked so this is something new.

John :-)

• Ok here is what I came up with after removing all the code then adding it back in one block at a time and it seems if it's anything to do with the actvity feed it get's blocked, but here is the thing if you sign in it works, if you add it to the file manager and link to it in code then it works whether signed in or not. So the code is working fine but it's getting blocked by Chrome and IE.

I will just include on part of the code which is to remove the crop of the video images ( by the way why do why have to have these and the photos cropped so small ? If they where not so small we would not have to keep writing code to remove the crops ) this code was by Sweet Potatoe shared as a tip for removing the crop of images which I changed just for the videos.

<script>
      // Remove crop from activity video images
      x$(document).ready(function() {
      x$('.activityFeed').ajaxSuccess(function() {
      x$('.feedEvent-createVideoLike .activityFeed-content.media-frame .activityFeed-image img, .feedEvent-createVideoComment .activityFeed-content.media-frame .media-img img,.feedEvent-createVideoRollup .activityFeed-content.media-frame .media-img img').each(function() {
          var videoSize_Attr = x$(this).attr('src');
          x$(this).attr('src', videoSize_Attr.replace(/\?width=\d+\&height=\d+\&crop=\d+\%\d+\A\d+/, ''));
      x$('.feedEvent-createVideoLike .activityFeed-content.media-frame .activityFeed-image img, .feedEvent-createVideoComment .activityFeed-content.media-frame .media-img img,.feedEvent-createVideoRollup .activityFeed-content.media-frame .media-img img').fadeIn();
      });
      });
      });
      </script>

Now here is a video of me showing the image still small when signed out then when I sign in it works as you can see.

Looking forward to your reply on this one,

Thanks Kyryl

CodeNot Loading - YouTube
      • Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the code with me so I could run the test on my test network.

And as I see the code is working like it should when I'm logged in and when I'm not (for the proper testing I have used two different pcs). So it seems there is something wrong with the network itself, so I'll ask QA department to take a look into this, probably they would be able to see what is the problem.

I'll inform you about their conclusion.

Regards,

Ning Team.

CodeNot Loading - YouTube
  • I think I found the issue with this. On my homepage I had two html content box's, one was for non members to see and the other for members to see. I did not add any code for this and just used Nings option for display when adding the box's. So I removed those two box's and everything works now as it should ( so far! ). Not had these issues with these before so will have to do some testing just to make sure in case it is these that cuase and not use that option for display if this is the case.

Kyryl it might be worth adding some content box's on your site set as mentioned above to see if this does the same on your test site.

• Hi John,

Just checked the code with two html boxes on the main page and the script working properly. Have you had anything special in that html boxes? In my case, I have tested the code with the plain text in html boxes, with the hyperlinks and iframes as well. As usual, I have run the test in both Chrome and FireFox.

Regards,

Ning Team.

• Thanks for the reply Kyryl and testing this out. No nothing special within them just a list of links and images. Will just have to keep an eye on it to see what could be causing it.

This reply was deleted.

Search the Creators Network

Latest Activity

Kos replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"What, in 2.0 themes, do you want Tony?  Most can be replicated with simple CSS.  Can you be more sp…"
2 hours ago
Kos replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning: Is it possible to enable the comments form on posted videos like we can for photos in activity feed.
""
2 hours ago
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Videos Playing In Activity Feed, check it out on my site, Now shows photos to ( Updated: 27-04-17 )
"Added some more updates on this so it works with photos now also."
3 hours ago
Tim Frank replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Thank you for the answer. My only regret is that it took just short of a month to get an empathetic…"
6 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning- Your design studio widget images are not loading
"Thanks, John,
I have posted the info about the fix of the embedded videos under more appropriate po…"
8 hours ago
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Video Issues Again For Embed Videos Showing Blank Box
"Yes I noticed that but I don't think that's a big issue as at least the embeds are working now and…"
8 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Video Issues Again For Embed Videos Showing Blank Box
"Hi John,
Yes you are right the issue with embedded videos has been fixed, however, it's only workin…"
8 hours ago
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning- Your design studio widget images are not loading
"Thanks for the update Kyryl, and I also see the embed videos images have also been fixed up. Nice w…"
9 hours ago
Tony Rosa replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi, i like it because some Ning 2 themes are very useful to some networks like for example Urban Te…"
9 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi, Tony!
As I know the new themes are not in the plan in Q2, but I'll post the suggestion to creat…"
9 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi, Tim!
We do apologise for the misunderstanding, unfortunately, our ticket system could have clos…"
10 hours ago
Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Ning- Your design studio widget images are not loading
"Hi, John!
The issue with the picture on the buttons in widgets in the design studio has been resolv…"
10 hours ago
Sarah Kerkman and Max G joined Ning Creators Network
10 hours ago
Ning via Facebook

#unitewithNING #social Facebook and Twitter popularity is the well-known fact. Nothing keeps…

Tim Frank replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"I am really happy that Ning is moving forward again. I hope that some of the improvement will focus…"
21 hours ago
Tony Rosa replied to Anastasiia_NING support's discussion Ning 2Q 2017 plan!
"Hi,
In Q2 will there be the opportunity to choose between old themes similar to Ning 2 or similar?"
yesterday
Lizbeeth Yariela Santiago is now a member of Ning Creators Network
yesterday
Erika Hoff Holmgren replied to Erika Hoff Holmgren's discussion How do I edit my opening posts on the forum? Sticky options?
"OH, I finally realized what my problem was. I had managed to hide the buttons under my menu =u=; It…"
yesterday
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Video Issues Again For Embed Videos Showing Blank Box
"Well I do believe this has been fixed now. Just added a video via an embed from youtube and the ima…"
yesterday
Bizz ( John ) replied to Bizz ( John )'s discussion Videos Playing In Activity Feed, check it out on my site, Now shows photos to ( Updated: 27-04-17 )
"Thanks, will share it once I get a few little options finished like adding it's own comment contain…"
yesterday
More…