Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Replies

• Kyryl,

Did Ning add the pop up now on my site? Or I need to find whoever did it for me and Thank Them- was it you? hhhmm...

BIG Thanks to whoever did it!

• Dear Kyril,

First of all. The source you quote is a private company. I would like NING to be able to base their policies on legal regulations in the EU as this is one of the major regions that you provide youir services in. 

Secondly, the article that you refer to is titled : "derogations for specific situations". An informal social community is not "a specific situation" and will not likely to be considered as such by the authorities. 

Furthermore, which one of the articles in https://gdpr-info.eu/art-49-gdpr/ do you suggest we use to inform our members?

Lastly, can you explain why NING is not willing to comply with EY regulations? What is so difficult?

Kind regards,

Anton Noë

(www.nederlanders.fr

Art. 49 GDPR – Derogations for specific situations | General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
    1In the absence of an adequacy decision pursuant to Article 45(3), or of appropriate safeguards pursuant to Article 46, including binding corporate r…
    • Hi there!

Well, since I haven't been able to find the definition of "specific situations" in GDPR, and since there are no precedents where the social network hasn't been determined as the specific situation you are not able to tell for sure that it's not the specific situation. However, the situation can be specific as depends on the privacy settings some of the profile questions could be available publically, according to the GDPR you have to determine to which countries the personal information is getting transferred, but since the site could be reached from any part of the world and the answers to the profile questions are presented publically, anybody from the whole world could reach that data (which in theory could be determined as the one which is allowing you to identify the person) on top of that in such case you are not able to determin to whom exactly the information is getting delivered (of course member can make his her profile in settings). Just because of that the situation could be determined as "specific" since the member decide which data should be presented publically. And as the site is available in any part of the world (even in countries which do not supply the adequate level of data protection) any person who has the access to the internet can get the access to private data of network member since it was shared by him/her publically.

The Ning is basically the set of tools that could be used to create the site and process data. It's like if the creators of the programing language would have to comply with GDPR as their language is used by some people to create the functionality which is used to process the users' personal data.

Best regards,

Ning team.

• Hi there!

Update regarding the privacy shield. According to the latest information that has been passed to us, we are going to join Privacy Shield, however, we are going to start the process only when all functional updates would be finished.

Best regards,

Ning Team. 

• Thank you very much for joining the privacy shield. This is an essential legal obligation, maybe not for NING but for all your owners in the EU. They could be fined mega huge amounts of money. 

When will you be registred? What is a reasonable expectation? 

Kind regards,

Anton Noë

• Hi there!

The update of Sign-up/Sign-in page and teh addendum related to GDPR should be released today unless any critical bug would be discovered during the last stage of testing. If there would be any issues, the release would be posted on Tuesday.

Regarding the joining of the privacy shield, when we will be sure that all tech updates working like they should, we will join the privacy shield. Approximately it will take 2 months, maybe less in case if everything would be fine.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

• Kyryl,

Yikes! I am at a total loss! Am I supposed to have a "cookie banner"? And Do I need to post the GDPR?

I like JFarrows pop up but not sure if it is for 2.0...

Help, Help Please!!!

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hi there!

Since we are not aware how the data used by you we are not able to make sure that your network is GDPR compliant since we are not able to disclose how you use the data collected on the network. And according to the addendum  https://www.ning.com/gdpr/ it's NC's responsibility to disclose all that information (however you may also find there that it's necessary to disclose it in the specific cases not covered by the addendum itself). 

Regarding the tools, yep, unfortunately, we haven't been able to release the update related to sign up the page in time, however, it should be released soon, but it would be made to the 3.0 networks only.

In order to make 2.0 network GDPR compliant, you can place the pop-up suggested by the JF here (https://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/tip-a-gdpr-compliance-pop-up...), and add the information about how the data of your users is used in terms and conditions. If you wish to make sure your users have agreed to the terms and conditions during the sign-up, you can create the profile question where they would have to choose yes or no from the drop-down menu that they have agreed to the terms and conditions.

Also when the migration script would be ready you'll have the option to transfer the network to NING 3.0 .

Best regards,

Ning team. 

GDPR
      • Well, the only data I collect is Google Analytics to check my traffic... Are there built-ins on the site that collect other data?

• Hi there!

Nope, we don't have any inbuilt pixel systems, additional analytics etc that would track teh activity of the members on the site. The network can track IP addresses of the members since we have IP block feature, based on this it can track when the profile is online and when isn't, also the email address is collected on teh sign-up page since the profile creation is impossible without this information. All the other information about the members is gathered in accordance with your settings (I mean the profile questions, pixel systems, google analytics etc.)

Best regards,

Ning team.

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

Alina Langley replied to Suzie Nielsen's discussion
Ning 2.0 For Sale
"Do you atill have a NING 2.0 site? I am looking for one, please DM me :)"
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile photo
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile
Apr 12
LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Mar 26
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels