Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Did you ever wonder how accurate your data usage meter may be?  Check out this thread I had with Ning tech support.  You may find out that you are using much less than your meter indicates.

------------------------------------------------
November 20, 2020

We have the same problem as we did with the Ning 2 platform. I cannot control my Disk Usage. I just deleted a group that had 186 pictures posted in comments and they take up about 0.4 gig of space. However, when I deleted the group, my network disk usage does not go down. It stays the same. This is because the pictures of the group are still on the server.

Below are pictures that were posted in a deleted group.
https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7544056290?profile=original
https://st2.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7544060689?profile=original
https://st4.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7544059656?profile=original 

Because of this problem, I will never be able to keep my data usage under control and you will eventually charge me for using beyond my limit, when actuality I am not. 

When can you fix this glitch? 

cindy

November 20, 2020

Hi Cindy, 

I'm really sorry to hear about your issue. 

I've looked into your problem and it seems to be a bug. 

I've forwarded the issue to our engineering team. 

They will start working on this very soon and will do their best to fix it. 

I'm sorry to keep you waiting till the bug is fixed. Thank you for your patience and understanding! 

We will follow up with you on this ticket once the issue has been resolved by our engineers. 

Cheers,

The Ning Team 

December 14, 2020

I am checking on the status of this bug.  When I delete a container (group) the content of that container (picture files) is not deleted.  There is no way for me to keep my data usage under control since no matter what I remove, the data usage never goes down. 

I deleted another group that contained 0.075 gig of space.  This means my data usage should now be 4.5 gig and not 5 gig.  Please see log below. 

5.00 gig - data usage indicated in my admin section
-0.38 gig - "Baskets and More Baskets" group deleted 11/20/2020
-0.07 gig - "In the Beginning" group deleted 12/14/2020
--------
 4.55 gig approximate actual data usage

Below are pictures that were posted in a deleted group.
https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7544056290?profile=original
https://st2.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7544060689?profile=original
https://st4.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/7544059656?profile=original

Can we please get this problem fixed.  The way this is going, I will eventually be charged for storage space I am not using.

cindy

December 14, 2020

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Service.

This is the feature of the platform.

Since Disk Usage looks directly into storage, and these files were not deleted from it, they are not deleted from Disk Usage either.

That why deleting the group doesn`t affect the storage holdings.

In order to clear space on the network, you should to independently delete all unnecessary files.

Please, let us know if any question appears!

Kind regards,

The Ning Team

December 14, 2020

What happened to, "this was a bug" as indicated by another tech support.

I put in a comment in a group and then deleted that comment.  The picture file is still there.

You can view it at
https://st5.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8291303693?profile=RESIZE_710x

Now, if you are implying that I should got to my admin section and delete pictures one-by-one manually from the "File List", that is ludicrous.

I have no idea which of the pictures were in a group that was deleted, or in a group that is still online, or in one of the members photo album.  I do not have time to go through 1000s of files to find pictures that were part of a deleted group.  I have no way to sort the files list in any manner to determine which are from a group that is deleted.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.  Once a container is deleted, the content of that container must be deleted as well.

cindy

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Continuation - updated December 14

December 14, 2020

Thank you for your reply.

We do apologize for all of the inconvenience.

The previous answer was an official response from the technical team.

We kindly ask you to remove files from the File Manager list.

Thank you.

If another question occurs, don’t hesitate to contact us. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Ning team

December 14, 2020

I cannot go through 1000s and  1000s of files and try to figure out which are from a deleted group, which are from a group still online, or even if it may be a picture from a members photo album.  I have no way to quickly view what the files are.  I have to open them one-by-one which takes a lot of time.  I have no way to filter the file list to see what the container the picture is or was in so I can delete in a batch.

This is totally unacceptable.

Old Ning 2 used to work.  You deleted a container and the content was deleted with it.  But then one day, it stopped working.  Ning migrated this glitch to the Ning 3 platform.  When you delete a container, its content should be deleted as well.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

Either delete the files from the groups I have deleted on your end, or provide me a reasonable way to do it on my end.

cindy

• Continuation - December 14

December 14, 2020

Thank you for your reply.

We do understand your frustration.

Please take our apologies on this matter, but it is a feature of the platform.

Unfortunately, it can not be changed on our end.

We really appreciate your understanding.

If another question occurs, don’t hesitate to contact us. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Ning team

December 14, 2020

There is no understand.

This is a feature on all other social media platforms.

You can fix this, just chose not to. If anything, fix the "file list" feature to include container information and make it sortable. Right now the only sort option is largest to smallest file size. How am I suppose to find the files of a deleted group of a list of 1000s of files when I cannot even know the container of the file.

I will not allow you to extort me. When I get near my limit and Ning charges me for data I am not using, I will move my network.

cindy

• It seems this bug has reared it's head again as I found this problem back sometime ago, they did fix it so something has happend between then and now. Here is the post I wrote about it...

https://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/an-interesting-issue-with-th...

• First they say it is a bug they are going to fix, and then turn around and say that is the way the plafrom works.  Total nonsence!

No way to know what file is from what container.  No way to sort the files. I think they are using it as a way to get more money.  

• Here is an update on my problem.  Per Ning's suggestion, I painstakingly went through the "Files List", one-by-one, to find a picture file that was pre-maturely posted in a comment. I deleted the comment but the picture file was still on the web server.  I finally found the file in the "Files List".  It took forever for I have no way of searching within the "Files List".  I deleted the file in the "Files List" and it is no longer listed in the "Files List".  However, is still on the web server and can be viewed.  I am sure it is also considered in my "Data Usage".  Therefore, content from a Ning account can not be removed under any method.

• "This is how the system works" is a favorite answer of the support team. I have disabled uploading images to my network because of this "feature".

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

Alina Langley replied to Suzie Nielsen's discussion
Ning 2.0 For Sale
"Do you atill have a NING 2.0 site? I am looking for one, please DM me :)"
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile photo
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile
Apr 12
LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Mar 26
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels