Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

While migrating to Ning 3 I got a system notice that I exceeded the 100 GB storage of my Ning 3 plan (Ultimate). I have 203GB of data on my Ning 2 site and 500GB of storage, so that's never been a problem.

I emailed support and asked how much additional storage was. They don't offer extra storage a-la-carte, so I either need to delete data or upgrade to their Corporate plan at $500 a month, which has 1TB storage. Neither of those choices work for me.

I asked about exporting the site data but that's not an option:

Hello,

All the data from the site can be saved only manually.
It means you can use copy&paste to copy the text and download the images from the site only by one.
We do apologize for this inconvenience but there are no tools for downloading the whole data from the site at once.

Best regards,
Customer Support

I was hoping to launch the new site before I turn 90 so doing things one by one won't work. And I'd have to rebuild everything back manually at the new site including the member's connection to each item. 

They migrate Ning 2 to Ning 3 all the time, so why they can't give me my site a similar way? I'll need to hire a company to migrate it to the new system but there are a lot of companies that offer migration services to Buddypress, and at least one who migrates Ning to it and has written scripts.

When I joined Ning there was a backup tool, and that's how I expected to move if I needed to. The terms and conditions of the Ning 2 agreement say I own my data and do not say I have to grab it myself item by item if I wanted to leave. I never would have joined if it said that. But Ning management doesn't seem to remember their obligations under the Ning 2 agreement.

The Ning 3 Terms and Conditions are quite different. They still say that you own your data, but also say that they have no obligation to help you get it out or provide a way to do it.

It's the Hotel California clause: You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

I'm not upset with Ning support. I love the Ning support crew. They really care and always do everything they can to help, without complaint. They always try their best to come through for their customers, and some have worked there since probably 2013-14.

But the owners of Ning need to rethink their position on this and give clients their data in a reasonable form if they need it.

I'm not holding my breath, so is there ANY reasonable way to export Ning 2 data in a usable form?

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NC for Hire

if your N2 is migrated to a N3, one would think a backup could be made for you...no?

• Exactly!

•  A couple of years back with the Ning Network Archiver being retired, I inquired about N2 archiving and Ning Support stated the attached. 

8817705652?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Thanks, Matt. I'll discuss that with them. 

• NC for Hire

I do archiving work myself. It's in my name. I have been with Ning since the beginning have have become better and bettter at archiving because I do it all the time on my own network.

• Hi Garfield,

Can you export the site so it can be set up as an operating site?

• NC for Hire

This is not a question I can simply answer yes to. Every Ning site is different and may require different needs when it comes to archiving. I have a site with thousands of videos. Archiving that site would take a different set of skills than one with thousands of images or blogs or discussions. There is no one "back up the entire site solution" so what I can do is attempt to archive sections of the site that are most relevant. I would need to look at the site and get clear what the goal is. Like JFarrow I use scraping tools but mine were created based on requests I've had and there haven't been many lately so each potential "gig" can be like starting over. 

I've done some amazing things and all automated not manual like Ning described but would need more info. I'm practically an expert at exporting video, deleting content, exporting forums but images should be similar to video so this would be new for me but may be quite simple once I know what's involved.

• Well let's talk. This is the site: https://live.autographmagazine.com

The site has about 39,500 discussions, most with images in them and some have hundreds of images. 2,000 blog posts. About 42,000 images not in discussions. 645 videos.

I'll message you my email.

Thanks,

Steve

Autograph Live
          Are your autographs genuine? Discuss authenticity and more in autograph collecting's most active community.
This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…