Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Ning Failures Continue to Mount up

I added another item to the top of my stack of issues awaiting a fix this week.

Worst of all, it's now not possible to upload images to the Photos ara of the website. I get the following message:

I double-checked that it wasn't an issue with the particular image by unsuccessfully attempting to upload an image that i'd successfully added as an inline attachment to a forum post just half an hour presviously. I got the same message as above.

Additionally, I've started noticing images sometimes get rotated when added inline to forum posts. After being fobbed off twice with the excuse that it's just the internet and the issue is wider than just Ning, I worked out that if an image dimension is wider that the width of the text space (in the case th 750px of my forum posts), it may someties rotate. It can be fixedf by reducing the image size.

This didn't seem to happen prior to Ning changing their storage server tihs year. Personally, I can live with it. But I don't expect my members to have to. It's just another disincentive for members to engage. 

The ingteraction with Support wasn't smooth. After eight mesaages with then on the first issue, the outcome was the now standard, "We have escalated the issue to the tech team for further investigations.". For the secons issue, after also eight messages, I got a variant probably more honestly promised only to try and avhieve a fix, "We will try to investigate the case for you and you will be notified as soon as we have an answer."

At one pont, I'd have felt reassured that the issues would now be fixed. However, as evidenced by the number of issues still waiting for a fix following simillar reassurances,, I now only see these messages as a sign that more dust will be gatherig on yet more problem reports. 

The image below shows on this site if you enter an incorect url. Recent experience leaves me tempted to conclude that this is a picture of the support team sharing the latest crop of problem reports:

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello David!

I understand that 2 weeks its a lot of time, considering how important comments and replies are for your community! Unfortunately, this issue cannot be resolved unless we address certain problems with storage first, this is partly why it takes a lot of time despite the number of affected networks. 

I apologize a lot for the relay and I hope you can wait a little bit longer, we are doing everything we can to fix it. 

Best regards,

The NING Team

• Hello David!

I understand that 2 weeks its a lot of time, considering how important comments and replies are for your community! Unfortunately, this issue cannot be resolved unless we address certain problems with storage first, this is partly why it takes a lot of time despite the number of affected networks. 

I apologize a lot for the relay and I hope you can wait a little bit longer, we are doing everything we can to fix it. 

Best regards,

The NING Team

• Anastasia,

The problem isn't the problem. The problem is other and twofold. 1. Communication.  This is the first time I'm hearing information about a larger issue and changes to storage etc ....   At least that is at a minimum what is owed a paying customer. 2. Downtime.  Any development should be done to avoid any downtime of existing functionality. If this does unfortunately happen - you got to tell the creators about this. 

I have over the last good number of years NOT made any tickets about things not working unless they are vital. There is lots of things broke I have seen better speed of servers, page loading etc ... that's a boon. 

But at bottom (and I have run a multimillion dollar online business for years) you got to prioritize everything when THE PRODUCT isn't working as it should. Late nights, pay developers overtime but get it fixed yesterday. The product is everything. Ning still hasn't realized that. 

P.S. Now I also get an error page / message embedding Youtube videos. Not working. 

• David we went through the entire week before Christmas with that embedding issue. Finallly it suddenly showed up as "working" again on Christmas Eve. And then I got an email from the CS folks that said "you need to use the embed code to  make an embedded video work" BWAHAHAHA - multiple screen shots sent (as requested), explanations of errors, even a notice to Ning that the embed code in YouTube is now different than what shows on the HTML page within the Ning site ... and they ended up blaming US for the errors. Yep, we're now actively looking for a new home (sigh)

• Davis, you have my sympathy. I;ve just been through a comedid interaction with Support who conclided that becuase pictures acn be embeded but not attached there's no problem! Not sure my members see it hat way!

• Thanks Hugh. Disappointment seeks company. 

In my case, the site is open but when someone tries to download an attachment, they are forced to register. It's the only way to drive membership and subscription given that Ning doesn't require registration to download (which I can't for the life of me understand - it isn't standard practice at all).  Without this, really hard to justify keeping the community open. If people don't need to register - can't upsell and keep the business going.  This is the incredible customer support reply I got. Orwellian. They don't seem to care. 

639148595?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…