Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Hi there. I'm having a real problem. I have had website communities for years. I decided I loved these tabs and the way the new 3.0 platform looks so I created a website. There's one thing missing though and it's big. My websites have always had lots of member participation but not so here on the new 3.0 platform and that's because when someone adds a discussion to the site not anyone except for the person that added the discussion knows it's in the group. "If" by chance, another member comes on the site and sees the activity feed then they can read it but otherwise my members don't know what's going on with the website. I pay quite a bit more here for my website than I was at my old website with another company. My website here on ning is practically dead. No one comes on unless I send out email notifications, feature lots of things and reply to a lot of discussions which makes me look like I'm bugging.

I like the daily diary but it's only for email notifications too. Who cares about getting a daily diary of emails notifications. But, people would love getting a daily diary of all of the discussions that were added to the site that day. And these "follow" this discussion? Who is going to follow something that they don't even know that the discussion is there in the group because no one got a notification of the discussion being added in the first place? It's just silly.

On the other sites I was a creator on they always sent out an email notification when someone added a discussion to a group that a member belonged to. That's only kind. Some of the old ning sites had so much being added in a day in a group that it clogged up my email but at least we got notified in our home emails and I could go read whatever discusision in the group. But a choice of a daily diary for all that was added to the site in the day is such a good idea! Please think about this. It's no use of me having a site and pay for one when no one comes on because no one knows what's going on.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi there,

Yes, we know that there are a lot of things to do and we are not going to stop. Regarding the storage limits, we already have suggestions regarding the limits and I have added yours there as well. However such changes would require us to review all the expenses servers maintaining etc. to keep the service reliable and increase the storage limits as well and it could take some time.

Anyway if there will be any information regarding the changes of the limits I'll post it here.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

• I would have to agree Helela.  Something needs to change because while there all kinds of ways to communicate with members of a group the site creator doesn't need to sit and plan out some kind of message to get their members to be aware of what's happening on the site and in their own groups.  These sites are not blogs so most will not just sit and scroll through the groups they are a member of much less just the site in general.  On the 2.0 everyone got an email notification when a discussion was posted and they could opt out if they didn't want the mail - there is also the option of no email from the site so members can choose for themselves.  Another problem when I went over to the 3.0 is that a comment in the front of the group, or it's home page, does not generate an email notification so it's taken well over a year to get members used to commenting on a regular basis but then again it's not as many as it should be.  I was happy to see that now comments on groups do appear in the site's activity feed but if you don't have that activity feed in a good place nobody will see it.  I personally added the activity feed to a few different pages such as on the group's page just so more people would see it.   Switching to the 'Follow' button was a huge slap in the face for some of us creators.

• Hi there!

The suggestion regarding the email notifications has been updated with your comment. I hope that management would decide to implement these changes however I would be able to tell this for sure only when there will be any decision made.

Best wishes,

Ning Team.

• Additionally on the 3.0 we lost content views on posts but I did notice it in the new video section. Any chance it will be added?

• Hi there!

Thanks fro the suggestions to add the number of views to the posts (as far as I have understood that should be discussions and blog posts). I have passed it to the management, and when the decision would be made I'll let you know.

Regards,

Ning Team.

• Thank you SunKat. We need the email notifications going out to the members emails when someone adds a discussion or else or sites are going to be nothing before we know it, no member participation.

• i hate to jump in and catch the wrath for NING but, you do know that if Member A makes a discussion. Member B will not know unless he starts engaging with that discussion, Then he will get emails anytime someone comments.

Also the only way to know new discussions are posted is via Broadcast emails from the Admin. You understand this right? (going back to minding my own issues now)

• This is what I've been trying to get changed for my members. And some things that are posted are daily posts, by the time I get the broadcast out the daily post is old.

• Ok I have finally had it. No activity on my site except for me! I just had a member after I posted to her page so she would know that the site still exist tell me that she gets hardly anything in her home email for any notifications that anything was added to the site. I've had more members tell me this. As of right now, I am looking for another company. I have really really had it with this. It's beautiful and has tabs but to get the attention of my members I have to go all out and broadcast that something was added to the site. I only have five broadcasts a month for sixty dollars! At least on spruz I had a lot of activity. I thought I was bringing my members over to something nicer than spruz but what I have done is the biggest mistake I have made in a long time. How could you guys make a site that has no email notifications going out to members when something new is added to the site but have a follow button to follow a discussion when the members don't know the discussion was added to the site in the first place! I am furious at the way that this company is being run. I'm boiling mad, my members are number one and I guess I need to find another place for us. Why couldn't you all that run this place do that one simple thing to help our members along so we can enjoy ourselves??

• They can follow discussions,blogs etc by clicking the follow button so anytime someone post they will get an email
This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…