Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Hi there. I'm having a real problem. I have had website communities for years. I decided I loved these tabs and the way the new 3.0 platform looks so I created a website. There's one thing missing though and it's big. My websites have always had lots of member participation but not so here on the new 3.0 platform and that's because when someone adds a discussion to the site not anyone except for the person that added the discussion knows it's in the group. "If" by chance, another member comes on the site and sees the activity feed then they can read it but otherwise my members don't know what's going on with the website. I pay quite a bit more here for my website than I was at my old website with another company. My website here on ning is practically dead. No one comes on unless I send out email notifications, feature lots of things and reply to a lot of discussions which makes me look like I'm bugging.

I like the daily diary but it's only for email notifications too. Who cares about getting a daily diary of emails notifications. But, people would love getting a daily diary of all of the discussions that were added to the site that day. And these "follow" this discussion? Who is going to follow something that they don't even know that the discussion is there in the group because no one got a notification of the discussion being added in the first place? It's just silly.

On the other sites I was a creator on they always sent out an email notification when someone added a discussion to a group that a member belonged to. That's only kind. Some of the old ning sites had so much being added in a day in a group that it clogged up my email but at least we got notified in our home emails and I could go read whatever discusision in the group. But a choice of a daily diary for all that was added to the site in the day is such a good idea! Please think about this. It's no use of me having a site and pay for one when no one comes on because no one knows what's going on.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• They can't follow a discussion if they don't know it's there. There is no notifications that go out that a new discussion has been added to a group. "After" a discussion is added to a group the member can go into the the discussion and follow it but if there is no email notification from the site that the discussion was added the member doesn't know the discussion was added to follow it! How can someone follow something if they don't know it's there?? I don't pay sixty dollars a month for me and my members to share information once a week. It's like having a PTA meeting with no one knowing when the meeting is going be held. No one knows anything here any longer. My members have jobs and families. They are not going to think when they get on the internet, "oh, I need to go check Helela's website". They are going to go to their emails and answer and check out what's there, not what's not there.

• What I'm starting to think, is that the new ning owners may want us to use our file space and working like mad on our sites, using up file space so that we have to upgrade. What do we as ning site creators have to do right now to get our members attention?? Put lots of hello's and pictures on members pages, build more groups to invite people, send out broadcast messages, I've started making a once a week diary of all the new discussions that were added to the site the week before, which some are suppose to be read that day. I'm frustrated, totally frustrated with this.

• Hi there!

As Thisisbully has already mentioned you members simply follow the page with all discussion and they would be receiving notifications if the discussion was added. Here is the screen shot from creators where you can see this button for the whole discussions page.
          3240037?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Regarding the storage, broadcast messages, for example, don't take any portion of storage space, regarding the pictures, back in May there was a script created which is resizing the pictures in order to make them take less space and increase load speed of the network and such approach isn't good in situation that you have described, by the way, we have the special department with account managers who can discuss with you custom subscription plan that would correspond to your needs, for example, if you wish to have more storage space than basic could provide but less amount of members and admins than in Performance plan they can contact you and find the alternative especially for you. 

Best wishes,

Ning Team.

• They would have to follow that discussions that have already been added right? If they follow a discussion in a certain group will they get a notification in their emails that a new discussion was added inside of that group??

• They can follow a discussion or all discussions just click d follow button and yes they will receive emails when a new discussion is made
      • Yes, but people don't do that. When or if they join a group they do not scroll down to the bottom of the group's home page and click follow...it is just too much to expect people to do that. The old way on Ning 2 was that if you joined a Group you were AUTOMATICALLY notified going forward of any new discussions added to that group, and this generated interest and participation. The present system is a step backwards and Helela's concern are appropriate.

• Hi Anam,

I do agree that not everybody would decide to scroll the page to the bottom in search of "Follow" button, that is why I've created the suggestion the first time this question was raised. As the decision to change this hasn't been made by the management I have decided that some information regarding the usage of "follow" button would help her to increase the participation of members in life of the network

Best wishes,

Ning Team.

• Hi Helela,

Thisisbully is right your members could follow the whole discussions page to receive updates when the new discussion is posted, or follow the separate discussion if they want to receive updates of it.

By the way, if you wish to put the "follow" button at the top of the discussion you can use this tip https://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/how-to-move-the-follow-butto... posted by John.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

• Doesn't anyone 'get' that Helena is talking about GROUP discussions, not Forum discussions?  Read her posts.

And Kyryl, your screenshot shows the follow button on Forums topic page, not the discussion area within a Group.

• It's all the same it has a follow button click to follow
This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

Alina Langley replied to Suzie Nielsen's discussion
Ning 2.0 For Sale
"Do you atill have a NING 2.0 site? I am looking for one, please DM me :)"
Saturday
Alina Langley updated their profile photo
Saturday
Alina Langley updated their profile
Saturday
LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Mar 26
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels