Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Forum

Everything is going ok when I use the Ning Archiver to backup/archive all my 2.0 content.  Have big roomy drives to load it onto.

I get everything done, but Discussions is giving me a problem, so I can't complete my archived features.

I download the .json files ok, then I click the button to download the discussion media files...and instead of that beginning (as it does just fine with all the other features), I get the error message that it cannot read or access the .json files it just downloaded.  Thus I can't download the discussion media files.  I need this to complete my archive.

I just filed a support ticket on this, but I'm wondering if any one else is having THIS PARTICULAR problem as I am.  Please let me know here if you are getting this same error message about the Ning archiver not being able to read its own json files.

Yes I've tried just about everything, over the past couple of weeks..nothing seems to help.

If I get this resolved through my ticket i will report back here as it might help others.  Thanks!

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• UPDATE....

Problem solved!!

I have to thank Dustin at Ning Support BIGTIME for sticking with me for several days to figure out what was causing my Ning Archiver program to stall over and over in the middle of downloading my Discussions feature of my network.  THANK YOU DUSTIN.  We sort of had to work together to find particular problematic files/posts/links, then locate them in my network and delete them.  Once deleted, the Archiver was able to start over and get further along until it encountered the next barrier.  Then we deleted that as well, and the Archiver was now able to do its job to completion.  AWESOME.   Though we'll never know WHY those little stones were causing the whole cart to topple over, at least now I know how to hunt such things down and get rid of them if this occurs again. 

There were actually two different error messages and dead ends that I was getting, and they required different ways to resolve them.  It'd take too long to type it all out, but if anyone is getting the SAME frustrating error messages from the Ning Archiver as I was, please contact Dustin at Ning Support, or me if you can't get Dustin, and one of us can perhaps help.  I can't help however for other Archiver issues ...only with these two things as described.

These are the two specific error messages I am talking about, that accompany the Archiver aborting it's job:

The archiver is unable to open ning-discussions.json. Please make sure the file is not missing or in use and try again. If the file is missing, you will have to download it again.

and,

The Archiver is unable to write to this destination, please change it and try again.

• Hi Strumelia,

I'm encountering these two error messages today while archiving our websites:

The archiver is unable to open ning-discussions.json. Please make sure the file is not missing or in use and try again. If the file is missing, you will have to download it again.

and,

The Archiver is unable to write to this destination, please change it and try again.

Can you let me know of the steps you have done to resolve the issue?

Your big help is very much appreciated.

--Rose

• Rose, first try this:

when you get an error message like those, CLOSE the archiver program by clicking on the X box, and then re-open it and click on the place to resume where you left off.  See if that gets you any further...it did for me.

• Okay, I'll try this. Thanks so much Strumelia!

• Hi Strumelia!
    I've had exactly the same error message: "The Archiver is unable to write to this destination, please change it and try again." I Tried to close and open the archiver again, without success.

I read that you solved this by deleting some problematic content. What kind of problems did you find in the content? Would you mind sharing this information? I'll open a ticket but at the same time try to solve it by myself.

Thanks in advance!

• It's been a year. I don't suppose anyone has any new ideas on this.

Does Dustin still work at Ning?

This reply was deleted.

Latest Activity

Fabricio Giugni replied to Fabricio Giugni's discussion
Ning Or Gamification website? Felling hopelees,
"Hi, Alex_Ning_Support,

It just the way it is. 
Obviously you are not aware of the problem. The sha…"
20 minutes ago
Alex_Ning_Support replied to Aubrey Williams's discussion
SSL Solution
"Hi Gerry,Unfortunately, for Ning 2.0 networks we don't provide SSL certificate yet. If you see agai…"
2 hours ago
Ning via Facebook

More interesting topics, lists and recommendations! Any ideas about new articles in the Ning…

Gerry Emery replied to Aubrey Williams's discussion
SSL Solution
"Oddly enough, last week several times on my Ning, it showed it was on a Secure Server, with https:/…"
8 hours ago
Alex_Ning_Support replied to Fabricio Giugni's discussion
Ning Or Gamification website? Felling hopelees,
"Hi Fabricio,I've noticed that you already have the Facebook app which works for Sign Up/Sign In. I…"
20 hours ago
Aaron Chacker and Kiruba joined Ning Creators Social Network
20 hours ago
Ning via Facebook

Social networking can really help you relax and feel optimistic! Learn useful tips from the…

Kyryl_Ning_Support replied to Aubrey Williams's discussion
SSL Solution
"Hi, Marco! 
We'll email you about your network as well. Please stay in touch via email corresponden…"
yesterday
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels