Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

In Firefox and Chrome the browser's inline spell checker works in the title box but not in the text box on our new 3.0 website for all text editing (the same thing happens here in this post). Spell check works fine on our old 2.0 website.

Is there a fix for this? An upcoming update?

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The default settings of the TinyMCE editor are causing this issue. 
    https://www.tiny.cloud/docs-3x/reference/Configuration3x/Configurat...

The Network Creator can enable the browser-based spell checker by adding the following script to the End of Page Code (Custom Code tab of the Social Site Manager):

document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function() { setTimeout(
    function() {
    let ifr = document.querySelector("iframe[id$=\"ifr\"]");
    if (ifr) { ifr.contentDocument.body.setAttribute("spellcheck","true") }
    }, 5000);
    }
    )

The extra 5 seconds after the DOM has loaded is necessary because the TinyMCE editor only starts loading when the DOM has loaded, so we must wait for the TinyMCE iframe to be loaded. The extra 5 seconds should be enough.

Ning could alter the TinyMCE initialization script to set the browser_spellcheck variable to true to make this work for all networks at once. In that case, the custom code above would not be necessary anymore.

TinyMCE | browser_spellcheck
  • Bart,

I must be holding my mouth wrong or something. I added the script provided in the Design Studio/Custom CSS/Global CSS text box and then clicked publish and in the Firefox browser (didn't try in Chrome) it didn't resolve the problem. I tried adding it at the beginning and the end of the scripts already there, but no luck. 

The bookmarket work around I mentioned in a previous reply still works (but I have to remember to click it when typing a reply, like I just had to in this post or there would have been a couple spelling errors in this reply).

• Steve,

The given script should not be added to the Custom CSS but to the Social Site Manager / Custom Code / End of Page Code. I expect you will have better results that way.

Do not forget to add <script> before the script and </script> at the end of the script.

• Unfortunately I don't have access to that level so I contacted the Site Creator to see if he'll add the code.

• Please let me know if it works for you when your Site Creator has added the script.

• The Site Creator added it and it worked.

Thanks Bart!!

PS: One thing I've noticed here on the Ning Forums is that even my bookmarklet won't reach all the way down into the reply boxes like this one I'm typing in.

• Great to hear that the browser spell checker is now working for you at your Ning Network website thanks to the script I posted in this thread.

A great tool that adds a superb spell checker to any input box on any website is the browser addon LanguageTool:

https://languagetool.org/

Maybe this tool can be of some extra help to you.

LanguageTool - Online Grammar, Style & Spell Checker
              LanguageTool is a free online proofreading service for English, Spanish, and 20 other languages. Instantly check your text for grammar and style mist…
This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…