Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Text Editor Problems

Hello, I am getting a number of reports from my users with problems with the WYSIWYG editor - editor not showing, or menu bar not showing all options, or menu split into two lines where it wasn't before. Any help appreciated. Ning 2.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Kyryl,

Thanks again for your efforts and research.

If there is someone at Ning who would be interested to see the following message, please share it with them.

============
    The changeover from the old text editor to the new text editor around the turn of the year is a devastatingly negative change which is imposed on our site. Major important functions are not working for some of our users, such as the ability to easily embed videos, or do screen captures. Since we are musicians, this is something we do all the time. I have asked if the old editor could be restored and was advised that it could not be.

I am now in the position of having to tell my users that there is nothing to be done, that they must live with the problems. It has been suggested to me that we default the editor to HTML/text mode, which is not an option, my users don’t know HTML and shouldn’t, in 2018, be expected to.

We may never know the full extent of how this impacts us. Perhaps there are users who experience the problems, don’t report them, and just go away. This may also have an impact on a fundraising campaign we have planned on launching over the summer to ask our users to help pay for the site. Will a user who has editor problems and who has been told by me to “just live with” those problems contribute to this campaign?

We have been around for over 10 years and have never faced a technical problem such as this, but it is quite possible that if there is no better solution offered than to live with the problems, we now find ourselves in the unfortunate position of possibly having to shutter the site.

I wish in no way to give a negative impression of Ning tech support, who have always been helpful, friendly, and prompt.

Gavin Brown
    Owner
    Composers' Forum

• Hi there!

The message that you have left on the forum, would be read by the management as they are visiting the forum from time to time in order to check the feedbacks of the users, also every week I do highlight the most important topics discussed on the forum, and this one has been among those topics. 

Regarding the video embedding, the text editor hasn't changed this functionality basically only the look of the button has been changed. Regarding the screen captures, this is the function of the operation system, and the website has no influence on it, so probably we aren't on the same page but I don't quite understand how any changes made on our side could have impacted this functionality.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

• Thank you Kyryl

• I think the change itself may be caused by how Tinymce handles the plugins required to add said functionality to the editor capabilities itself.

• Hi there!

I have checked video embedding on Gavin's site and it works fine with the editor, regarding screen capturing, well, plugin on the webpage cannot affect this functionality anyhow.

Best wishes,

Ning Team.

• Hi I have similar issues at the moment. Cannot upload pictures, an error mesages comes up when I try to upload. The photos page will upload but not my editor. so I dont think its my browser. I use safari and ive also tried it on my pc with firefox and encounter the same problem.

• Do you have a ning 2 or 3 network?

• HI there!

Paul has 3.0 network, however, the issue cannot be reproduced on all of them, I do suppose that it depends on the server on which the network is located, or maybe only his network has been affected, I have sent this case to the QA team for the further investigations.

Best wishes,

Ning Team.

• Hi there!

Unfortunately, I have been able to reproduce this issue :-( I'll go ahead and create a bug report. Once the issue is fixed I'll let you know. Sorry for these inconveniences.

Best wishes,

Ning team.

• Hi Paul,

The issue with file uploading on your network has been fixed.

We do apologize for the temporary inconveniences.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
1 hour ago
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
2 hours ago
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
10 hours ago
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
10 hours ago
Aase Lillian updated their profile
10 hours ago
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
10 hours ago
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to ⚡JFarrow⌁'s discussion