A private unique domain name is a powerful tool for promoting your website.
NING enables its users to add and manage such domain names.
If you do not have your domain name yet, you can purchase it directly in the Social Site Manager tab of your user dashboard. You also have the opportunity to connect a domain name registered with a different registrar.
On the Domain Mapping page, you can manage the following features:
- Get your domain name: Purchase a custom domain from NING
- Use registered: Connect a third-party domain name
- SSL settings: SSL certificate management
- Redirect to: The domain name that will be displayed in the address bar
Get your domain name
The advantages of using a custom domain name from NING is that an inexperienced user does not have to puzzle out the DNS settings and additionally manage several services.
To choose and set a unique domain name, please follow a few simple steps:
- Go to the Domain Mapping section and select Social Site Manager.
- In the Get your domain field, enter the unique domain name that you are interested in and click Check.
- Toggle the radio button near the domain name you like the most and click Activate domain name.
- Purchase your domain name. Please note that the fee is not refundable.
- You will see a pop-up notification that your purchase is successful and that your DNS is being automatically configured. Most Internet users will be able to access the URL within 24 hours, but they will be temporarily redirected to a .ning.com address.
- After 72 hours, your domain will be configured, and you will receive an additional email notification about this. On the Domain Mapping page, select the proper domain name in the Redirect to drop-down list and save the settings. It will then be displayed in the address bar as the default name.
Please note that if you need to create a mailbox with your new domain name, you are welcome to contact Ning Customer Support to configure MX records. Soon it will also be possible to add MX records by yourself.
If you already own a domain name or want to connect a domain from another provider, please use the Use registered field on the Domain Mapping page.
You can find a detailed instructions for configuring DNS for an existing domain name at http://www.ning.com/ning3help/use-your-own-domain/.
NING advises leaving the Use SSL for your Network parameter toggled on to make your network more secure.
NING generates a free SSL certificate for any type of domain.
If you want to use a different certificate, you can upload it by hitting the Upload certificate button.
This setting determines which address your website visitors will be redirected to and which URL will be displayed in the address bar of their browser.