Many of you have been waiting for us to launch the new SSL certificate feature - so here it is! The migration process will be performed in several stages. Currently the feature is available for 3.0 networks only.
The migration of the networks with *.ning.com domain name is automatic, and has already begun. Hopefully, by the end of the next week the process of mass implementation will be completed. The networks with custom domain names will soon follow.
As a second step later this year, we will focus on 2.0 networks. We are already working on transferring these networks to HTTPS protocol, and everyone willing to volunteer in the testing process is welcome to contact our Support team to sign up.
Here are a few things an SSL certificate will help you with:
- safeguard your website from hackers, phishing, eavesdropping, man-in-middle-attack, and sniffing attacks
- keep sensitive information that is sent across the Internet encrypted, so that only the target recipient can use it
- protect sensitive information, such as customer names, phone numbers, addresses, and credit card numbers
- receive ranking advantage in search engines placement, since Google has recently updated its algorithm and added HTTPS as a ranking signal
- become more secure and trustworthy to the customer who wants to deal with a verified company and keep their personal information private.
These will help you ensure that your network gets more trust, which will ultimately bring more users to your community.
Thank you for your feedback on the importance of having an SSL certificate, and your active comments about Ning platform improvement.