Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

301 Redirect to Subdomain

Does anyone know the best way to redirect our mysite.ning to a subdomain (community.). I already have a domain/website called newsite.com. I need to point mysite.ning.com so that it points to community.newsite.com. 

Currently I have www.surfershot.ning pointing to www.surfer-shot.com (notice the dash). Then I have the site meshed with another (non-ning) site called www.surfershot.com (notice no dash). Instead, I want to make my ning site point to a subdomain (community.) so that it will be www.community.surfershot.com

Also would there be any SEO altercations? 

FYI, it's a N2 site if that makes any difference. 

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

★
★
★
★
★
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • NC for Hire

    well, both www and community would be subdomains so www.community.surfershot.com may not work...haven't seen too many double subdomains before..  if I were you I would move everything to cloudflare and manage the DNS there..plus you get a free SSL certificate... ill think on this some more

    • Oh, I didn't realize that www is actually considered subdomain. I've got no problem dropping the www and just go for community instead. Is what I want to do still possible then?

  • I beleive I may have this figured out. Dashboard > Tools > Domain Mapping. Then in the text box for Alternet Domain 1 I write over the top of "surfer-shot.com" with "community.surfershot.com". 

    Then go over to my domain host for surfershot.com (Godaddy) DNS panel and create an A record with the Name "community" and point it to Nings IP address. 

    I haven't pull the plug yet. I'm hoping Ning will chime in on this and also tell me were I would find Nings IP address. 

  • I have figured this out and created a new thread for it over at: https://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/301-redirect-ning-to-subdoma...

    301 Redirect .ning to Subdomain and Keep SEO
    In this example I will be using "community" as the subdomain. This will also carry over all your SEO and continue useing second-level domain and subd…
This reply was deleted.
 

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

Eva liked ⚡JFarrow⌁'s discussion Ning for Dummies - Interesting
Sep 26
Sourceeezy updated their profile
Sep 25
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Ning Support's discussion
New feature added into Group Permissions
"Was going to upload a screenshot but the Upload Image functions no longer work"
Sep 11
Scott Bishop posted a discussion
Is there any way to allow new members waiting to be "Approved" to upload content during their wait…
Sep 6
John de Vinderr updated their profile
Aug 27
Brudavant LLC updated their profile
Aug 11
Scott Bishop posted a discussion
I notice that that the entiredy of Ning was down all day today, "due to maintenance". Was/is there…
Aug 6
1Win Pakistan updated their profile
Jul 18
PRENSAMERICA updated their profile
Jul 9
jaya9game updated their profile
Jun 25
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to ⚡JFarrow⌁'s discussion
Ning for Dummies - Interesting
"here is the PDF
 "
Jun 24
Ning Support posted a discussion
We've upgraded the way your network's favicon works — the small icon that appears in browser tabs…
Jun 10
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels