In this example I will be using "community" as the subdomain. This will also carry over all your SEO and continue useing second-level domain and subdirectory of your url string after the .com/.
This tip is great for when you already have onther website and want to use Ning as a community for it to enhance that website by adding photo/videos, groups, etc.
- I will be assuming you already have your own non-Ning hosted website with it's own domain name (mysite.com).
- Go to your DNS Management panel of the host provider for where the domain name is that you want to do this to. In this instance I'm using Godaddy with the domain name "mysite.com".
- Add a new A record with the Name "community" and point it to Nings IP address which is 126.96.36.199
- Then head back your your Ning site:
- Go to Dashboard > Tools > Domain Mapping. Check the box for "Alternet Domain 1".
- In that box inter community.mysite.com
- Check the yes or no box for using an SSL. This is a good time to select "yes" and take the SEO advantages an SSL certificate gives you.
- Click Save.
And presto! When anyone comes to your site they will see "community.mysite.com" instead of "oringanal.ning.com" Ning site.
It will also show all the same second-level domain, subdirectory, and so on after the .com/ -Example: community.mysite.com/photo/name-of-the-photo.
Be sure to clear your browser of cookies and cache when completed! Especially with Chrome. For some odd reason the 1st time you come to your new subdomain you'll get a blank page and panic. Just clear your browser out or see it on a different browser.
You can view my non-Ning site with my Ning site attached to it via using a subdomain at community.surfoutlook.com .