I spent lot of time to figure out how to do it and I've been using this since july, so now I´m sharing with you.
I love SSI, I´ve been using this technique for more than a decade on my other projects, so since the beggining I'm was shure that´s the way to do it, even on NING! I just was unnable to figure out how!
Here's the step by step, assuming you already know how to use DFP Admanager and that your ads are already on rotation.
- Create your ad spots (top 728, skyscrapper 160x600, middle 468 and so on) on DFP
- populate then with ads
- create your html containers like top.html, footer.html etc with all the DFP code you need to run the ads on your NING adspots and reserve (like cooking, hehehe)
- read the post http://help.ning.com/cgi-bin/ning.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3613 to understand what I have done
- create 2 .js files for the top and footer like top.js and footer.js
Bellow is my top.js
x$("#xg_navigation").after("<div align=center id='custom_ads'></div>");
var ad_html ='<iframe style="padding-top:2px;" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"allowtransparency="true" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"src="https://api.ning.com/files/B4...........6nJfx15PgWlcapCqGQe/adtop.html"width="955px" height="205px"></iframe>';
6. Go to your profile and write a public post, with replys and commentsclosed of course, on your blog called top and post top.html (youradmanager html code) as a attached file (Jen's tip!) and save it! Repeat operation for footer.html
7. Go to stats and place the call to your .js files
in my case I'm running the .js from my own server but it can be also inserted into a blog post to speed load it a little more.
Hope this helps!