Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

NC for Hire

Long time, old friends. What's happened to this site? Has it been redesigned by someone at playschool?

Anyway, I see Ning are developing again, which is good to see after years of neglect.

A client got in touch recently to say his Ning 2 site wasn't looking right. On investigation I noticed that his background image had been resized from 1920px wide to 1400px wide. When I tried to re-upload the original 1920px version it was again resized to 1400px.

I tried this on Creators too. Same thing. Anyone know if this is a bug, an enhancement, an aberration?

Hope you're all well.

SP

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi there!

I'm that person from the playschool, and I haven't finished yet, but I don't think that you would change your mind regarding my place of study after the final change would be applied.

Anyway, yes the feature which is resizing images in high resolution has been implemented at the end of March, as I heard it has been done in order to increase the loading speed of the networks and reduce the storage used.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

• I have no problem with image optimization, just don't like that the resizing is not proportional.
      • Makes no sense at all to just squash everyone's photos disproportionally.

Please, Ning needs to simply fix this on all networks, shouldn't be a difficult thing- it's common sense to not squish gallery photos as if pressing a panini.  Customers shouldn't have to apply custom codes to fix this for themselves on an individual basis.

• +1
  • NC for Hire

Thanks for replying, I didn't mean to offend, it was just a lighthearted joke. I'm sure it will be great.

Anyway, to the matter in hand. Was this image restriction communicated to site owners? This will affect the look of many sites and seems wholly unnecessary without proper communication. Did I miss a post?

• Hi there!

This information is for everybody, not only for SweetPotato.

Like the management has explained to me in the answer to the feedback that I have passed to them, it has been done in order to increase the loading speed of the networks and decrease the amount of outgoing traffic. Also, they have mentioned that we are in the process of changing of the CDN to the better one and after teh change would be completed there could be some changes on this, but that would depend on the actual traffic spendings of the networks.

Best regards,

Ning Team.

This part is for SweetPotato.

P.S. No worries I'm not offended, but the design won't be changed completely from the version that you can see right now, so I don't think that you would like it, that's why I said so :-). And if you have any suggestions, I'm always here and any critique is appreciated.

• NC for Hire

my main objection is the huge green hero area shunting all the content way below the fold :-)

• Hi there!

Probably you are right, placing that green picture on every page is too much as you have to scroll it again and again. I think I would change background picture there and leave it only on the main page. In such case, there would be no issue reaching the content on other pages, but on the main page, I think it's ok to have that welcome message with the hero image.

Actually, I'm planning to change it today, and if you don't like it after the change please don't hesitate to tell me what's wrong

Thanks,

Kyryl.

• NC for Hire

I like the new image you replaced it with... but is there anyway you might make it show just for logged out members?  thank you..

• Hi there!

Yes it could be easily done, I just need to change a little the script I have created to show different text in the below header add box and it would work the way you have described, but if I do so I'll lose one colorful thing that I have on the page and only white and grey would look really boring, don't you think? 

However, I'm going to highlight categories in activity and other modules in different colors maybe after that the page would look a bit better and replace that pic from the home page wouldn't hurt much. I would keep your idea in mind that's for sure as it seems to be reasonable for me. Basically what I'm trying to say is I have to experiment a bit with other elements before I could implement your idea.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me, I'm really pleased :-).

Best regards,

Ning Team.

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…