Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

Hello to everyone!

Unfortunately, the guide which is presented on the networks regarding the implementation of the Facebook API is outdated, so I have decided to post the full instruction here in the separate post. Previously I have already mentioned those instructions in other posts as replies but some people could experience difficulties looking for them so as of me the separated post is better.

For the people who don't like to read, here is the video guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_H-dtnomkv1MnRZa2lDYTVtQWM/view?usp=sharing. For the others there are written instructions below.

Before we start, for the both guides, I do suppose that when you are reading this you are at the page where it's necessary to enter app id and app secret.

Let's start with the guide for the Facebook sign in/sign up

1) Please follow this link to Facebook https://developers.facebook.com/apps
2) Please press "+Add New app" at the top right corner of the screen
3) Onn the next screen, you should choose the name of the app, for example, you can use your network's name or something else, it doesn't matter just depends on what name would be more convenient for you in order to manage another app you have? and don't forget to enter contact email address, and press "Create App id"
4) After you have filled the captcha at the left side of the screen you will see the menu? please press "Settings" button.
5) On the next screen you will see the settings of your app, however, you should take a look on the left side of the screen once again and press "Advanced"? it would be located just under the "Settings" button that you have found in the previous step
6) When the advanced settings would be opened please scroll down the page a little and find "Allow API Access to App Settings" and turn it on (there is the trigger just to the left from that text please click on it once to turn on). Please don't forget to save changes as well.
7) Then please take a look at the menu on the left side of the screen and press "+Add product"
8) On the next screen, please choose Facebook Login, and then press "www"
9) In the field which is called "Site URL" please enter the link from the paragraph 9 of instructions presented on teh network, it's in bold text so you shouldn't miss it. 
10) Then please take a look at the menu on the left side of the page< end just under "Facebook Login" you will see the button "Settings". Please press it.
11) On the screen that would be opened, please enter the same link mentioned in step 9 into the field called "Valid OAuth redirect URIs" and save changes.
12) Your app is almost ready, please choose "App review" from the menu on the left side of the screen and make your app public by switching on the trigger "Make name of the app public?" where "name of the app" is the name that you have chosen for your app.
13) Now your app is ready you can, please go to the dashboard on Facebook and you will see app id and secret you need.
14) Go to the network, open Members management tab, then go to Sign in / sign up, and press details near the Facebook option. In the necessary fields please enter App id and app secret, and save the changes.

The same app could be used for the 3rd party integration, however, if you don't wish to have Facebook sign in/ sign up here is the guide for, with the settings that would be enough to make the network accept it.

1) Please follow this link to Facebook https://developers.facebook.com/apps
2) Please press "+Add New app" at the top right corner of the screen
3) Onn the next screen, you should choose the name of the app, for example, you can use your network's name or something else, it doesn't matter just depends on what name would be more convenient for you in order to manage another app you have? and don't forget to enter contact email address, and press "Create App id"
4) After you have filled the captcha at the left side of the screen you will see the menu? please press "Settings" button.
5) On the next screen you will see the settings of your app, however, you should take a look on the left side of the screen once again and press "Advanced"? it would be located just under the "Settings" button that you have found in the previous step
6) When the advanced settings would be opened please scroll down the page a little and find "Allow API Access to App Settings" and turn it on (there is the trigger just to the left from that text please click on it once to turn on). Please don't forget to save changes as well.
7) Your app is almost ready, please choose "App review" from the menu on the left side of the screen and make your app public by switching on the trigger "Make name of the app public?" where "name of the app" is the name that you have chosen for your app.
8) Now your app is ready, please go to the dashboard on Facebook and you will see app id and secret you need.

After you have entered app id and app secret, you will be able to turn on the facebook comments under your blogs/forums/events etc. These comment walls are not connected and the comment from one post won't appear under the other one. Please also note that while the comments are working the share button to post them on the Facebook doesn't. We know about it and our tech team is working on the fix.

If you have any questions, I'm always here to help :-)

Best regards,

Ning Team.

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello!

I can offer you to add one of our agents so we can help you to set up an app. 

In order to do it, please, open the "Roles" tab in the application and click on "Add developers" button http://take.ms/7DHxn

Please, use the following handle Alex.ning.support to add our agent http://take.ms/GjvzZ and let us know once you have done that so we can check your case right away.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,

The NING Team

Screenshot "party integration fool - Roles - Facebook for Developers - Google Chrome 2018-01-24 19.…
  • NC for Hire

I keep getting the following errors

1486068946?profile=RESIZE_710x

1486071759?profile=RESIZE_710x

and there is nothing in the instructions on how to handle these...

• Suzie's site has been experiening Facebook problems as well but it seems intermitent and not on a consistent basis.  Hope Ning will look into this issue.  Clearly I'm not alone.

•  Help!I have not step 9  :(

3770371463?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Hi there!

If you are not sure where to find an App ID here is more detailed instruction with screenshots: https://www.ning.com/ning3help/create-a-facebook-sharingapp/

Basically its located in the Basic Settings of the app. 

Best regards,

The NING Team

Create a Facebook Comments App
      Create a Facebook Sharing App - Ning 3 Help. Try Ning For Free On www.NING.com! ✅
This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Tuesday
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
Aase Lillian updated their profile
Mar 18
Aase Lillian posted a discussion
Hi all. Is it possible to add emojis to the community? I also wish the activity page to include…
Mar 18
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Mar 6
Adul Rodri is now friends with ANGE.L LUAR and Margarida Maria Madruga
Feb 14
Shweta Sharma updated their profile
Jan 26
catherine martin updated their profile
Jan 16
Donna MacShoe updated their profile photo
Jan 15
More…