In the past I installed Google Search the hard way. It took special coding with new page for results, and several jumping through hoops.
NOW, Google offers an easy way to add a custom Google Search to your Ning Network.
- Click on "Create a Custom Search Engine"
- Next to: "What do you want to search?" Select - - Only sites I select.
- Under "Sites to search:" enter your Ning Network URL. If you want to search more than one site, enter 1 URL per line.
- Agree to Google Terms.
- Click on Next.
- Click on Finish.
- Now you'll be taken to a page with this header: "Search engines I've created"
- Click on "Control Panel" next to your new Search Engine.
- Look in left column. You will see a link: "Get code"
- Copy/paste "Custom Search element code" to a text box on your Ning site.
If you want to see an example of how this works, see the Google Custom Search in right column of Creators (above videos).
This answer is buried within a forum/discussion. I wanted to add it as tutorial, so it's easier to locate.