I'd like to hear your thoughts on Public vs. Private Ning sites. If switching from Private to Public, is there an easy way to lock-down all member profiles automatically so they are not searchable by Google? Or does each person have to change those settings on their own?
What do you see as advantages and disadvantages to both?
The ones I see are:
- Faster membership growth (since people need to join to see any content)
- Relative privacy - profiles, blogs, etc not indexed by Google.
- Easier to share and link to network content
- Higher on search engine results
- Slower membership growth
- Fewer frustrated users (no longer have to sign in to see content)
- All content automatically public and indexed by Google (I believe unless members lock them down...and I think they can make blogs/photos/videos/events private & profile page private with the exception of name and photo?)
Anything I'm missing? Other thoughts?