Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

I deleted a group that had 186 pictures posted in comments and they take up about 0.4 gig of space. However, when I deleted the group, my network disk usage did not go down. I found out that all the pictures of the group are still on the web server.

I bought this problem to Ning's attention and their response:

"Since Disk Usage looks directly into storage, and these files were not deleted from it, they are not deleted from Disk Usage either. That why deleting the group doesn`t affect the storage holdings. In order to clear space on the network, you should to independently delete all unnecessary files."

I told them that was ludicrous.  How can I find files in a list of 1000s when I have no way to search the "Files List".

Their response:

" ... it is a feature of the platform. Unfortunately, it cannot be changed on our end."

Per Ning's suggestion, I painstakingly went through the "Files List", one-by-one, to find a picture file that was pre-maturely posted in a comment. I deleted the comment but the picture file was still on the web server.  I finally found the file in the "Files List".  It took forever for I have no way of searching within the "Files List".  I deleted the file in the "Files List" and it is no longer listed in the "Files List", but is still on the server and can be viewed.  It is also considered in my "Data Usage".

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I final got a response from Ning on my trouble ticket.  How long has it been, um . . . almost 3 months waiting for a reply.  Does this seam line deja-voo.  Remember way back when, before Ning became under new management.  Getting a response from a trouble ticket was like pulling teeth.

Anyway, here is their response.

---------- Ning responce --------------------

By deleting pictures/videos/groups with pictures, etc they are deleted from the interface, but not from storage.

Disk Usage itself is just the interface of everything that is stored on the storage.

By deleting pictures/videos from Disk Usage, they will stop taking up space

------- My responce to Ning----------------

I have been over this over and over and I am tired of repeating myself.

Until Ning provides a method to sort the files in the "Disk Usage" per container, there is no way for me to know what pictures are from a deleted group (container).  I do not have time to go through them one-by-one when there are 1000s.

NING MUST EITHER DELETE PICITURE FILES WHEN A CONTAINER IS DELETED, OR PROVIDE A WAY TO SORT THE "DISK USAGE" TO DETERMINE WHAT PICTURES WERE IN A DELETED CONTAINER!

I will continue to keep track of the containers I delete and the storage that was taken up by the embedded pictures.  If Ning ever charges me for data storage above what I am using with active non-deleted containers, I WILL LEAVE NING.

-----------------------------------

• Wow, I got a quick reply this time.

---- responce from Ning ----------
    In case the storage is full you will not be able to upload new content to the website.
    You will see the notification that asks you to change the plan.

----- my reply ------------

Thank you for letting me know.  Since Ning cannot provide a method for me to remove files from a deleted container, I will make arrangements to move my network.  I will move my network before the "Data Usage" hits 50 gig.

NOTE: This was not a problem in the beginning of Ning 2.  I could delete a group and the picture files were deleted as well.  I was able to control my data usage.  After Ning was taken over, this problem popped up.  I can see why Ning will not want to fix it.  It eventually means more money for Ning.

Even though I am a long time customer of Ning, I see no reason to stay with, what has become, a dishonest company.

----------------------------

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to ⚡JFarrow⌁'s discussion
Time Saver: Your RSS Feeds for Location Tags on Ning
"Use the feeds inside this awesome RSS Feed tool"
yesterday
Amazing Tool to Automate Your Content Discovery, RSS and Sharing Community Content
"It would be Nice if Ning updated this page"
yesterday
Ron updated their profile
Wednesday
Style Hack: How to Have Different Backgrounds for Different Groups
"still love this hack"
Wednesday
Alina Langley replied to Suzie Nielsen's discussion
Ning 2.0 For Sale
"Do you atill have a NING 2.0 site? I am looking for one, please DM me :)"
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile photo
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile
Apr 12
LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Mar 26
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels