One thing that Ning could do that would make a massive difference to the potential of the platform is to do a really deep Zapier integration.
For those that don't know Zapier, it is essentially a middleware service where you can link different platforms together. It supports hundreds of different platform.
So here's a list of the type of things you could do if Ning had a Zapier integration.
1) You could automatically re-post content from Ning to your social services.
2) You could automatically post content from other services to Ning
3) You could set up alerts for different types of content to come into your email or slack
4) You can feed data about posts, etc into a Google spreadsheet for analysis.
5) You could automatically add new users to any CRM/email campaign tool (not just Mailchimp)
6) You could set up calendar reminders to do stuff like re-instating suspended members.
Basically, it would add a whole raft of extra admin functionality to Ning with just one simple integration.