Current status of the Ning Platform is always available on the Ning Status Blog.

I want to share everything i have learned over the last couple years on SEO search engine optimization and how to gain high ranking and high traffic on your ning site.

these tips will be devided into new ning sites and old ning sites

new ning sites on page seo is criticle to getting listed at all where you will be seen take advantage of the  splash page  feature and use that to target your most important keywords. do not try to unseat the big dogs that dominate the single keywords example if your sites sports related dont even bother trying to target sports football baseball etc instead target broader terms use a keyword research tool search related keywords then find the keywords with the best cross between monthly tradfic and low competition

your front page should only target the very most important key phrases other pages deeper into your site can target any number of other keywords. by this you can get thousands comming into your front page and hundreds comming in to less important pages all adding up to tens even hundreads of thousands 9depending on your niche)

now use a tool like this search engine optimization tool to check your sites readiness for submission identifying problems  in your code you will never get it perfect but this does a very good job of identifying common seo mistakes.

make sure your domain name registration is longer then 2 years! domains registered for 2 years or less dont look serius to search engines so rarely list high, if you can afford it register for the max 10 years. investing in the future of your site shows you are serius about its success.

use a valkid sitemap sign up for google webmaster tools bing webmaster tools and submit your sitemap to each

tip: nings sitemaps fairly useless you can get a real sitemap crawler and if you have any other hosting acount (or you can get 1 here for only $2.23 a month) you can add a sitemaps.yoursite.com subdomain on the hosting account just for your sitemap then in your robots.txt (search engine bot controls in dashboard) add sitemap: http://sitemap.yoursite.com/site,map.xml (or .gz)

this way spiders and bots will find it on the subdomain

submit to search engines manualy especialy the important ones (lets face it thers only 1 important 1  4 semi important ones for every 30,000 hits google sends bing sends 300 yahoo 100 and all 10,000 others out there maybe under 100 all combined

but thats not o say they should be ignored it can help to be listed in as many sas you can.

next  and very important more important maybe the on page seo

quality link building i made a post here last week but also on my blog here but basicly you want to attract links to your site from relevant sites and high pr sites (pr=pagerank googles page authority ranking system) high pr sites that are relevant to your site especialy increase your sites pr as well. you can use www.tynt.com to build links but also should use a reciprocal linking system i added 1 on 2 sites (still setting up catagories so if you add a link suggest a catagory for it ) link directory 1 link directory 2 you can get your own just like those at www.skalinks.com (again you will need a hosting account to add a subdomain to)

ok now established older sites

you can use all the info above however you can ttry for those huge payoff hard to get keywords, the single word goldmines that get 75,000 to 15,000,000 searches a month

if you rank near or on the 1st page for these but low  rework your main page slowly

retarget it at the 1 or 2 most important key words or phradses

(you can optimize other pages deeper in for wider ranf]ges so lose no traffic from the more narrow targetting on the front page

a title change can make alot of difference..good or bad do not change it often track the progress over many weeks even months after a chasge before considering another

examples from the earlier mentioned sports old title sports forums football baseball hockey being the old broader totle (tho thyd probly try targetting even easier keywords) try refining that to sporsts discussion forums

or sports forums or sports discussions

the word sports then has a title weight of 33% to 50% and searching sports forums you get 100% relevance

find out whos linking to your competition and try to gain links from them as well

internal links pump up the power of pages you want to list higyer for certain terms  use good navigation but do not limit yourself to navigation links within body text help even more

say you have a domain name sportspages.com and pages/football/ /baseball/

all over your site wherever baseball or footballs mentioned (no more then 2..or max 3 per pag e link those words to those pages

keep building links to your site! never stop cause u can be sure the competition never does

tip on link building although 15 mik]\llion links on 1 site is alotta links for ppl to click on  and come to your site search engines really only give credit for 1 per domain when it comes to page rank however if they use the anchor text wghos keyword influence yo want to pass to your page then its still helpful to an extet

(disclamer he links fr domain names and hosting etc is my site you can use any hosting or domain name registration site you choose to i dont intend this as spam only helpful ifo but since they are mine i can assure you i have all prices set as low as possible if you do choose to use them0

pro tip 2

if your current domain name does not include your most important keywords, the words that your targetting to take down the big dodgs then by all meands get 1 that contains the keywords (if u get 1 that is only the keywords thats gold ..skyrocket to the top gold)

if you get he new domain do not just change it use the domain mapping set the new domain as primarty forward the old to new submit the new domain and sitemap you will lose no traffic from the old listigs as they now go to new domain  but soon the new domain will take over and list higher

i have alot more tips on my blog here

applying these techniques my site at under 2 years old (domain age is also taken into account) is just below the 2 biggest competitors for the 2 most important keywords

and last i checked (bout 3 months ago or more) has over 400 number 1 positions for wide area lower trafic search terms over 1000 top 5 and 4000 top 10 position listings

and i gained abn average 100-400 positions weekly for the roughly 100 keywords scanned on roughly 30 engines

havent tested in ages tho so cant tell u current trends since the title change thats getting me higher for the high competition terms

You need to be a member of Ning Creators Social Network to add comments!

Join Ning Creators Social Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NC for Hire

Some great tips. One note of caution having just tried TYNT:

TYNT seriously mashes your urls, eg. profiles/blog/list#axzz1QkNtwLV3

• thats va tracking code that u can turn off but has zero effect on anything u can turn that optio off though thats to track when your  ppl copy paste your url from the browser address bar
  • Awesome+1

May I ask what is a good site map exactly if NING's is useless? 

BTW, here is the link to register your site to Bing and this is for Yahoo!.

• a sitemap should list every page in your site

mine lists as of yesterday 813,000 nings version on mine 10

slight difference huh

also u should be able to set priortity and change frequency for diferent sections

and after 40-50,000 urls split into sitemap index and multiple sitemaps

ive requested a server side crawler over and over which would be the ultimate solution

• Hi Soaringeagle...Thanks for the tips, very informative. Question, where would I get sitemaps for my site that I can link to my domain?
  • Perfect timing, I'm working on this now.  Thanks!
    • hope it helps i got alot more tips on my blog too

• 2 years! domains registration...soaringeagle, where do you get this information?

Where can I get a real sitemap for my site?

Bless

• did alot of research thats 1 of the few things google let slip out domains registerred for over 2 years look more serius while domains registered for just 1 year are concidered temporary and not serius

more committed to your site

you can use any number of sitemap creators the 1 i use is inspyder  i tested dozens and inspyder just was the best 1

there are websites that crawl and host your sitemap for yiou for a feee but with how marge ning sites get im bertting they'd cost too much

problem is

you either need webdev to access the root or host it on another site and have robots.txt tellthe spiders where its hosted, or ning has to allow ftp or the file manager to set custom urls for sitemaps too. somehow getting them into the root.

the only way they cant be in the root is if u specify an alternative location using the robots.txt

the domain age and registration period thing, many of the better seo scans will test the registration length and domain age. and if you ever accidently let it lapse and have to re-register it it  will seem like a brand new domain so you lose seniority credits  and can drop in rank even though alexa and pagerank stats stay with the name being a newly registerd name u lose out.

so i recomend protected registration to prevent accidental elapsing and to renew the registration everytime your expiration dsates under 2 years awaty if you can max it at 10 years  i would then renew in 8

This reply was deleted.

Some interesting articles related to community management, digital marketing etc. could be found in our digest. Don't hesitate to leave a feedback so we would know that we should continue :-)

Latest Activity

⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to ⚡JFarrow⌁'s discussion
Time Saver: Your RSS Feeds for Location Tags on Ning
"Use the feeds inside this awesome RSS Feed tool"
16 hours ago
Amazing Tool to Automate Your Content Discovery, RSS and Sharing Community Content
"It would be Nice if Ning updated this page"
16 hours ago
Ron updated their profile
Wednesday
Style Hack: How to Have Different Backgrounds for Different Groups
"still love this hack"
Wednesday
Alina Langley replied to Suzie Nielsen's discussion
Ning 2.0 For Sale
"Do you atill have a NING 2.0 site? I am looking for one, please DM me :)"
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile photo
Apr 12
Alina Langley updated their profile
Apr 12
LEO Mobile App Builder updated their profile
Mar 26
Aase Lillian replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Ok, thank you. Please send me details as I have no idea on how to do it. "
Mar 19
Aase Lillian and ⚡JFarrow⌁ are now friends
NC for Hire
Mar 19
⚡JFarrow⌁ updated their profile photo
Mar 18
⚡JFarrow⌁ replied to Aase Lillian's discussion
Community - activity page
"Yes you can add emojis to your community pretty much anywhere you like.
If you need some help…"
Mar 18
More…

Meanwhile, you can check our social media channels